(laura) elsen
A
100%, Bev. as a white person saying you are "colorblind" not only erases the experience of BBIMP folks it also upholds whiteness as a standard rather than recognizing and promoting the equality of difference across all groups.
Bev Turner @Bevturner
One of the biggest lessons learned was to stop saying " I am color blind". Used to say that because, I thought, wrongly, that I was conveying that I didn't care what color someone's skin was. Did not take into account that it was actually making POC feel invisible and should celebrate all colors.
11:12 AM - Nov 11, 2023
11:29 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Cary Cat Lady
A
This. What needs to end is the pervasive mindset that the white male is the default person, and everyone else as some kind of “other” that has to be identified. This isn’t “colorblind”, it’s recognizing that people are all sizes, genders, abilities, colors, and so on, we’re all people.
In response to (laura) elsen.
11:53 AM - Nov 11, 2023
Becky Cline
A
In response to Cary Cat Lady.
Kendi's discussion of a hierarchy of races had me thinking quite a bit. Both of my teenage sons have noted slurs coming from other minorities against Black people. It surprised me, as they also suffer ignorant remarks and slurs. I am guessing it has to do with where their imaginary rank is.
12:11 PM - Nov 11, 2023
Arthur Grupp
A
In response to Becky Cline.
An imbedded “Caste” system?
01:56 PM - Nov 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}