Profit Greenly
A
thread 1/11
Since I joined Spoutible I've been trying to populate a following list with interesting people. Today I was excited to hear about lists and hopeful that they'd make finding follows easier. Expressing that hope has given me more vitriol today than I've ever experience here. Some thoughts on why.
12:15 AM - Nov 12, 2023
Profit Greenly
A
thread 2/11
First off, Spoutible's reply display needs improvement. Here's the spout that got me lambasted. See how it looks like it was replying directly to @dani 's 13th spout with no discussion in between? I expect that's why a lot of people thought I was being super rude.
Profit Greenly
A
thread 3/11
Clicking "In response to dani" on my spout takes you to her profile, not her preceding Spout. I mistakenly took this to mean that @dani had deleted her reply, but clicking the spout I made before her reply shows it and this so it's an issue with Spoutible reply display not a deletion.
Profit Greenly
A
thread 4/11
Given that Spoutible doesn't have mega VC cash, I can understand that they need to save on machine resources and limit # of replies displayed, but I've always wondered by interaction here felt a bit off, and I think that this is a big part of the answer. It may have driven this random name calling.
Profit Greenly
A
thread 5/11
@cbouzy himself came in with a more productive reply later, noting that for an account with that number of followers these engagement numbers are over Twitter's avg. That's far more useful than assuming bad intent and name calling.

https://spoutible.com/thread/21572376
Profit Greenly
A
thread 6/11
One issue with his reply is that it was a quote echo. Most of my replies came this way. The issue is that users reading the original reply don't see the quote echos. Then they quote echo a similar thing or the total opposite to what others have already said. It fragments conversations.
Profit Greenly
A
thread 7/11
This happens on Twitter too surely, but not as much. Given the algorithmless nature here it seems like echoing is pushed. One reply even admonished me to start my own thread rather than replying. Is that truly the best practice here?

https://spoutible.com/thread/21540131
Profit Greenly
A
thread 8/11
I've dabbled with Bluesky and their approach is even worse, just dropping random replies into the main timeline with no context about the thread it is from. But that's good. Bluesky, Twitter and Facebook are all co-opted by fascists. It's great for them to fail, but I'd like Spoutible to succeed.
Profit Greenly
A
thread 9/11
Trump running in the 2024 election is going to expose just how co-opted these other platforms have become. And while many people here claim that social media doesn't affect elections, I see first hand accounts of what's happening in local school board/council/state legislatures as being very useful.
Profit Greenly
A
thread 10/11
Twitter is where I find accounts like these, but will they still be there next election? Will they be pushed out by trolls? I desperately want a place that can replace Twitter for them, and I hope Spoutible can become that. I will keep talking about ways I hope it can do so and I hope others do too.
12:15 AM - Nov 12, 2023 (Edited)
Profit Greenly
A
thread 11/11
In the end I'm saddened by the negative responses of many Spoutans, but understand that it many have come from reply display issues. I'm heartened that the person I was trying to interact with didn't think I was being rude and by the people I found to follow, but it shouldn't take this to find them.
12:17 AM - Nov 12, 2023
Jacsmoore @
A
In response to Profit Greenly.
I get what you're putting down and appreciate what you're saying about disjointed convos, but that goes back to the individualality of the poster. Don't know how Bouzy can control that without taking away options
01:59 AM - Nov 12, 2023
Profit Greenly
A
In response to Jacsmoore @.
My main thought is to improve the visibility of replies, so they're easier/better to use. Secondarily it's finding a way to make replies publish to your followers like QEs and/or to make/allow QEs to show up in reply threads. I'm sure smarter people will have even better ideas.
10:03 AM - Nov 12, 2023
Jacsmoore @
A
In response to Profit Greenly.
Love the expounded explanation and apologize for the inference of your degree of narcissism.
I agree the platform can be a tool in elections. Not sure in depth debate on SM is going to get it done.
01:54 AM - Nov 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}