Not The Droid You're Looking For
A
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but has anyone else noticed more errors in digital print media, of late?

Ex: Newsweek articles with misspellings or missing articles such as "a/an" and "the".
Then, at the bottom of the story, they want to crowdsource editing by asking readers to report typos
Not my job
09:02 PM - Feb 28, 2023 (Edited)
Cymru Am Byth
A
In response to Not The Droid You're Looking For.
I've noticed that for quite a few years, in magazines and newspapers, and on television news chyrons. They could be short-staffed; however, if people knew spelling/grammar/punctuation, they wouldn't need a proofreader in the first place.
10:44 PM - Feb 28, 2023
A
In response to Cymru Am Byth.
On newscasters: I've also noticed them saying "impordant" as if there are't two t's in it.
Don't get me started on irregardless, which made it into Webster's by dint of repetition.

It's
A
Double-negative

If impordant makes the cut, I'm switching to Esperanto.
10:52 PM - Feb 28, 2023
Cymru Am Byth
A
We Americans are notorious for inserting D sounds for Ts in the middle of words - letter, better, water. Or eliminating it entirely - stop saying "gennelmen," people! There's a T in there!
11:04 PM - Feb 28, 2023
A
In response to Cymru Am Byth.
I get most of those soft t's
We don't need to expand their use though
English is messed up, generally
I read a book by, it was probably Stephen Pinker, but could've been Noam Chomsky, explaining peculiarities, insofar as you could make a protracted case for an alternate spelling of fish as ghoti
11:26 PM - Feb 28, 2023 (Edited)
Cymru Am Byth
A
In response to Not The Droid You're Looking For.
I've always said that I'm glad English is my first language - because I'd hate to have to learn it as a second! English is nuts.
12:09 AM - Mar 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}