My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 1/7
Wayment. Actually, the more I think about it, I'm frustrated by this piece. What's the author's point in echoing a talking point that affirmative action was bad because white people wouldn't respect black people in "white spaces," if not appeasement?

A whole different thread. 🧵
Social Media Ecosystem @OmarLittle
My Hot Take: Decades later this man is feeling the effects of this. Again, go where you're celebrated and not tolerated.
#sme #theculture #highereducation #PWI #iowacapitaldispatch
03:41 PM - Nov 13, 2023
05:37 PM - Nov 13, 2023 (Edited)
My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 2/7
Contrary to popular argument, Black people were not haphazardly placed in college classes and jobs with no qualifications, while liberal white people overlooked their incompetence, crossing their fingers & hoping they'd rise to the occasion.

If a Black person was somewhere, they'd EARNED it.
05:40 PM - Nov 13, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 3/7
Also, if a Black person chose to attend a college or accept a job offer, 9 times out of 10 they knew to expect white people to look at us with greater scrutiny, and were as prepared as possible to work hard and excel. "Twice as good to get half as far" is not just something Scandal writers made up.
05:43 PM - Nov 13, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 4/7
Our absolute last consideration was our feelings. "How do you feel knowing you're in x place because you're Black?" never, ever meant that. It always meant, "You SHOULD FEEL ashamed of taking a white man's place when he'd have been better qualified." Our feelings is some strawman shit they made up.
05:47 PM - Nov 13, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 5/7
Our feelings never had anything to do with white people. Our feelings were about our chance to learn, to excel, to achieve, to earn, to provide, to contribute.

But here comes this apologetic Black graduate here, helping their fiction along. "I felt pressured," "they didn't believe in me."
05:51 PM - Nov 13, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 6/7
As if, with affirmative action gutted, mediocre white boys won't continue to cry that we are unqualified and we got where we did because we're Black. They absolutely will, partly because of authors like this continuing the fable of us being pushed along with no fortitude.
05:57 PM - Nov 13, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
thread 7/7
Well, @omarlittle you hit the nail on the head about this man still being in his feelings about what white people think. I truly wish, for his sake, that he had gone to FAMU or something.
06:26 PM - Nov 13, 2023
Susan Simon
A
In response to My Flying Car 2020.
Why don't people see affirmative action as simply partial reparations/counteraction for legacy acceptances and good ol boy networks for last 150 yrs.? Twice as good to get half as far has been and still is the reality in white spaces.
05:53 PM - Nov 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}