Roger Lansing
A
Anyone else as obsessed with researching their family tree as I have been? I started 20-some years ago when our first child was born. I've traced my dad's line back to 1400s England (his dad's line) and pre-WWII Poland (his mom's). Fascinated by the history that I continue to unearth.
05:15 PM - Nov 16, 2023
Socio-gen
A
In response to Roger Lansing.
Other family did most of the work on my maternal grandmother's and paternal grandfather's sides (1530's English and 1480's Dutch). Maternal great-grandfather was adopted, and my paternal grandmother's line is stuck because my great-grandparents emigrated to the US as unaccompanied Irish children.
06:00 PM - Nov 16, 2023 (Edited)
Socio-gen
A
In response to Socio-gen.
I know my g-gma's grandmother and two uncles, but other than one uncle's Civil War service, I can't find any records of them prior to the 1880 census. And, of course, both g-gma and g-gpa have such common names in Ireland and England, good luck figuring out which ones are mine.
06:07 PM - Nov 16, 2023
Roger Lansing
A
I found 4 great 3x uncles who all fought in the same regiment in the Civil War. One was wounded & died at Petersboro. The other 3 were present (from what I can find, I believe they were) at the surrender at Appomattox Court House.
06:21 PM - Nov 16, 2023
Socio-gen
A
In response to Roger Lansing.
Oh that's cool! My gg-uncle served in the PA 141st Volunteers, wounded at Gettysburg (over half were killed), but recovered and rejoined the unit, and was also at Appomattox! (According to a newspaper write-up on the 25th anniversary of Gettysburg.)
07:54 PM - Nov 16, 2023
Socio-gen
A
Fun to think that maybe our uncles might have passed each other, or maybe hung out around a campfire, making their plans to return to their homes and families.
07:55 PM - Nov 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}