Thomas Liljeruhm
A
thread 1/8
Are there any other genealogists and DNA "researchers" here on Spoutible?
Or is there anyone that has some Scandinavian heritage? 👀

For the last 5 years, I’ve put a lot of time into genealogy and DNA searching.
04:34 PM - Nov 16, 2023
Thomas Liljeruhm
A
thread 2/8
I’ve created a detailed family tree of over 5500 individuals (3000 dead and 2500 living). I mainly use MyHeritage, but I’m also on Ancestry, 23andMe, and FamilyTreeDNA.

When I first started out, I had some help from my maternal grandfather's old paper research.
Thomas Liljeruhm
A
thread 3/8
But Sweden also ranks as one of the best/easiest countries for genealogy since all the detailed old church books that tracked almost everything dates back to at least the 18th century. And all of it is now online. I’ve also got a lot of relatives to do DNA tests which has been helpful.
Thomas Liljeruhm
A
thread 4/8
Like most Swedish families, quite a few of my relatives emigrated to the US about 150 years ago (since Sweden was dirt poor at the time). So, it has been fun to track their fates across America.
Thomas Liljeruhm
A
thread 5/8
One of them was Carl August Hultstrand (1836-1902) who emigrated back in 1870. He became very successful and rich working as a watchmaker and jeweler in Boston. Sadly, his son later lost all that wealth from bad investments…
Thomas Liljeruhm
A
thread 6/8
We still have one big mystery that we sadly probably will never be able to solve. We don’t know who my paternal grandfather’s grandfather was. He was most likely just a one-night stand. Some say a Danish sailor... The DNA matches get very weak when you try to find 150-year-old connections.
Thomas Liljeruhm
A
thread 7/8
Overall, I find DNA to be very interesting. Especially nowadays when even some famous murders have been solved by genealogy.

In Sweden, we’ll have to wait for another year before the Swedish police will be allowed to use this new method.
Thomas Liljeruhm
A
thread 8/8
It has also been fun and rewarding to (re)connect with distant relatives during this project.

Here are 3 pictures showing my Scandinavian heritage, parts of my family tree, and a photo of Carl August Hultstrand.
Laura Nixon
A
DNA has surprised my husband’s family, and answered some questions about someone not fitting in. Also surprised new relatives in Finland.
In response to Thomas Liljeruhm.
10:27 AM - Nov 17, 2023
Thomas Liljeruhm
A
In response to Laura Nixon.
DNA never lies.
I hope that the surprise wasn't too bad.

Finland is a very tricky land, since almost every Finn shares at least some DNA, since they have a relatively small population and very little immigration over the years. And since Finland used to be a part of Sweden it gets extra tricky.
04:13 PM - Nov 17, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}