Adam Vadnais
A
thread 1/4
I’m writing this out for my own sanity.

1) One of the largest social media platforms ever to evolve slid headfirst into being a bizarre ghost town of bots, Nazis, and cultists.
12:51 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Adam Vadnais
A
thread 2/4
2) Twitter was always famously toxic (I remember watching GamerGate unfold), but for leadership and ownership to so brazenly trumpet antisemitism with *such* clarity, can we deny that the age of dog whistles is over? We’re about to see a well-funded, full frontal assault on society…
12:58 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Adam Vadnais
A
thread 3/4
3) It’s still a massive global forum though… what happens to the sprawling infrastructure that has kept Twitter going for years? Does it become 8chan for a new age? Does it become an easy-to-access driver of anti-semetism, racism, misogyny and fascism?
01:03 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Adam Vadnais
A
thread 4/4
4) I’m saying all this because the rules have changed. I don’t believe we are in a space where the popularity of a platform is the primary driver. Billionaires are now just tearing down whatever public forums they deem necessary to achieve their goals.
01:15 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Adam Vadnais
A
Right! But what happens next? To a certain degree, they’d see that as a victory - a cleansing. Now we (the sane ones) are split across a dozen platforms as some terrible force is starting to amass with no interest in ‘norms’
In response to Roxy Meloni.
01:08 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Roxy Meloni
A
In response to Adam Vadnais.
Who cares how those idiots see it? Eventually the most hospitable platform will become the new norm. Leave the cro magnons on X and let the civilized people find each other again.
01:13 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Adam Vadnais
A
In response to Roxy Meloni.
Because those idiots number in the *millions* and are supported by massive financial and political power that can turn all this to something much darker, much more dangerous.
01:16 AM - Nov 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}