Wokeity Woke Woke
A
Ok, stay with me now. These are Piney-woods cattle, which are a fascinating breed of cattle introduced to SE US by early 16th century Spanish explorers. Why are they special? Here in this #EndangeredEcosystem , supporting #EndangeredSpecies , they target eating invasive plant species! I KID YOU NOT!
09:53 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Rose Shasteen
A
In response to Wokeity Woke Woke.
Are they the breed the Florida Crackers herded?
10:02 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Wokeity Woke Woke
A
In response to Rose Shasteen.
I’m not sure. Here’s a starter article which I haven’t read all the way through yet. I was looking at restoration management and it was the first I’d seen them. More. here, https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
10:05 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Wokeity Woke Woke
A
In response to Rose Shasteen.
Coming back to this question Rose. I wouldn’t be surprised. This is a unique breed, truly. Naturalized to US systems, and adapted to pine woods. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to learn it is the same breed.
10:10 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Kathleen F789
A
I hope they have an appetite for kudzu. With climate change kudzu is making its way up north in the USA and even into #Canada

https://youtu.be/8-6HU7uqG...
Kudzu Spreads North - YouTube

Kudzu, the vine that ate the South, is spreading north and west these days, and a USDA researcher tells us why he thinks this is happening.

09:59 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Wokeity Woke Woke
A
In response to Kathleen F789.
Hi Kathleen, I’m not sure if they eat kudzu, this ecosystem has been well maintained and managed so ground flora of most concern and kudzu has not been allowed a foothold. There are some goats being used for other plant invasives but I don’t know if kudzu is included. Interesting question.
10:07 AM - Nov 18, 2023
jocelynjtweet
A
And they are beautiful animals.
09:54 AM - Nov 18, 2023
Wokeity Woke Woke
A
In response to jocelynjtweet.
They are Jocelyn! I’d been around cattle and these were so bright and inquisitive. Really adorable. Learned they communally manage calves. Again, I was fascinated.
10:08 AM - Nov 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}