R.A. Roth
A
Oh really? I penned a blog in Dec. 2015 predicting a Trump win. Based on how soft the media was on him, it wasn't much of a stretch to see him winning. And during the 2016 GOP convention, he overtook Hillary in the 538 poll.

Today, he's an inch from a prisoner. This ain't 2016, doomsayer.
Remo @Remoman
No sane person thought Trump would win the first time. Hillary had more votes but he did win due to the quirks of the Electoral College. Keep on saying he will not win and he will, then take us down the path of a dictatorship. And do not think it will stop if he were to die. He is a tool being used.
11:41 PM - Nov 20, 2023
02:13 AM - Nov 21, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to R.A. Roth.
There is a fine line between defeatism and caution, between confidence and cockiness.

Despair-peddling and defeatism help no one. But I'd rather overestimate Trump than underestimate him again.

Assume that the outcome of the election is an open question, and work to get the right one.
#VoteBlue
02:19 AM - Nov 21, 2023
R.A. Roth
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
We're beset by doomsayers calling the race for Trump next year. Jesus wept, he lost in 2018 and 2020. Republicans did a fraction as well as they should have in 2022 and lost their asses in 2023. Spreading Collective Resignation serves no purpose but aiding Trump and Republicans.
02:23 AM - Nov 21, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
Again, I am not saying Trump is going to win, and agree that that's counterproductive.

But treating Biden's victory as certain is also dangerous. There are people who will vote for Biden if they think it's him or Trump, but may stay at home if they think the election's in the bag. Just like in 2016
02:27 AM - Nov 21, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
And I KNOW people assumed Trump would lose in 2016, because I was one of them (I did vote for Clinton, but I'm sure there were people who didn't like Hillary and convinced themselves sitting it out was fine because she was going to win anyway).

Hell, Trump himself was reportedly surprised he won.
02:29 AM - Nov 21, 2023
R.A. Roth
A
The entire situation is so different. We know who he is, we lived through it, less 500K COVID deaths. Dobbs happened last year. He's facing life in prison. And the Jan 6th case carries a lifetime ban from federal office if convicted. Vigilance and sensibility over panic, is what I'm asking for.
02:33 AM - Nov 21, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
I agree with that. At the same time, I wouldn't want people to take things for granted. And of course, its not just winning the White House- its winning down-ballot. We need huge Blue wins across the board to make major, lasting systemic change. Not just to stop Trump, but to prevent the next Trump.
02:35 AM - Nov 21, 2023
R.A. Roth
A
Indeed, winning down ballot is very important. But to our benefit, there is no natural successor to Trump as of now and Biden never had a god damn email server.
02:37 AM - Nov 21, 2023
Kinzie Mat
A
02:42 AM - Nov 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}