David 1914
A
I was reading an article about the foods Americans living overseas miss the most and someone said Velvetta cheese. Of all the things they could have said they found a way to have the words Velvetta cheese escape from their lips. 😳
03:35 PM - Mar 01, 2023
Leslie Farnsworth
A
In response to David 1914.
The first and second times I moved abroad, I missed some foods. Now... I don't really miss any, TBH.
04:34 PM - Mar 01, 2023
David 1914
A
In response to Leslie Farnsworth.
You will typically pay a premium if you insist on foods from back home that is not a food eaten in your new home. My one exception here are steel cut oats. It’s not really a French thing but is taste better than regular oats. Since a fair number of Brits vacation here, I feel I can find it here.
04:50 PM - Mar 01, 2023
Leslie Farnsworth
A
Yeha, oatmeal isn't something eaten much as a breakfast food by the French, really. However, I've seen it in stores as "flocons d'avoine" or "l'avoine concassée," if that might help you. They don't use a direct translation of the term "steel-cut."
In response to David 1914.
05:03 PM - Mar 01, 2023
David 1914
A
In response to Leslie Farnsworth.
I think I've seen flacons d'avoine at the Carrefour but they didn't look like steel cut to me. I've yet to see l'avoine concassée in the stores but one day it will happen. I've seen in available on amazon fr but it look like a bulk order and I don't need 12 boxes of the stuff.
11:14 PM - Mar 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}