jocelynjtweet
A
thread 1/5
My in-laws are a large blended family. He was raised in a Reform Judaism household, but several of the children married gentiles. We get together every year for Thanksgiving and Passover. Some years ago, when his eldest sister was still living, she decided we needed a gift-giving holiday.
11:58 AM - Nov 24, 2023
jocelynjtweet
A
thread 2/5
And thus, Thankhanumas came into being. Traditionally celebrated the day after Thanksgiving, Thankhanumas was originally conceived as an exchange of gag gifts between the adults - with everyone getting one other adult to give to.
jocelynjtweet
A
thread 3/5
The kids (now adult themselves) got multiple gifts when they were small, until they became part of the larger exchange. We’ve done some variants, like Yankee Swaps or similar “stealing” games, but with 20+ people involved it just takes too long, and is now one gift per person
jocelynjtweet
A
thread 4/5
We often combine this with karaoke or other games and it’s gets very loud and wild with everyone talking at once. And we always miss his sister (she passed from a rare cancer a few days before 1999 became 2000). It’s a lovely holiday!
jocelynjtweet
A
thread 5/5
I’d love to hear of other blended family traditions. And feel free to adopt Thankhanumas if you are looking for one.

And now it’s time for leftovers!
Buster T
A
In response to jocelynjtweet.
I can’t speak to their traditions but our neighbours cover all the bases. He is Jewish and Christian, she is Muslim. The kids have it made.
06:16 AM - Nov 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}