Kathleen Kern
A
thread 1/13
I've been sitting with my disquietude over the very nice people on Spoutible who sincerely do not understand why people would hesitate to vote for Biden (and before that Hilary and other mainstream Democratic candidates.) And those who think the hesitaters are spoilers or extremely naive
01:56 PM - Nov 24, 2023
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 2/13
or just don't care about fascism taking over in the U.S. So I'm hoping this thread makes sense. First of all, the rightwing nonsense about Hillary and her emails, Obama's birth certificate and the "Biden Crime Family" is obviously drek, and makes legitimate criticisms difficult.
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 3/13
For example, as I have said here before, Clinton supported a coup in Honduras which resulted in death squads returning to the country: https://www.salon.com/2016...
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 4/13
Her Libya policy led to it becoming a failed state and after Gadafi was sodomized to death with a bayonet, she gloated about it on live TV: https://www.salon.com/2016...
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 5/13
She displayed brazen contempt for Palestinians to choose their own leaders: https://mondoweiss.net/201...
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 6/13
Biden's outlook on domestic and foreign policy is much like the Clintons, although he was pushed to the left in the last election. But you ask, what about Trump? A woman's right to choose? Book banning? Voter suppression and all other kinds of Republican chicanery?
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 7/13
And here's where my perspective begins to diverge. I have worked in Palestine, Chiapas, Mexico, Haiti, Colombia, Kurdistan, and North American Indigenous communities. I have relationships with people who have been on the receiving end of policies that don't affect us.
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 8/13
The consistent, unquestioning support of Israel while it brutalizes Palestinians, economic policies that impoverish peasant farmers in Colombia, Mexico and Haiti (and create a flood economic refugees at our border) and the overall attitude that the poorest people here and abroad are disposable
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 9/13
gives me very little faith in mainstream Democrats. I think it's gross that people in the U.S. think, "Well, as long as my civil rights are okay, I don't have to think of the rights that my country is trampling all around the world."
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 10/13
Did you know many Kurds like Republican presidents? Because Republicans set up the no-fly zone in Iraqi Kurdistan, and Trump ordered the assassination of of the Iranian general Qasem Soleimani because of his brutal suppression of a Kurdish uprising and his treatment of Kurdish political prisoners
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 11/13
So when some of us watched Joe Biden effuse over the Hamas atrocities against Israeli civilians, but say nothing about the suffering of Palestinians in Gaza for weeks, even to the point of making snarky remarks about the Palestinian death count, it was horrifying.
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 12/13
We were watching children blown apart, nurses at hospitals trying to reassemble the the corpses of children from boxes of body parts, parents howling in anguish when they found their dead children beneath the rubble. Somehow U.S. abortion rights didn't factor in.
01:57 PM - Nov 24, 2023
Kathleen Kern
A
thread 13/13
In closing, of course I will not vote for Trump. He's a fascist. But condoning genocide is also fascist.
01:58 PM - Nov 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}