RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/8
Okay I know most, if not all have a white-hot hatred of Derrick Chauvin who got stabbed last week in prison. I want everybody to think this through. I want the guy to be alive to serve out his sentence. Nothing more, nothing less.
11:38 PM - Nov 28, 2023
A
thread 2/8
I have a deep dislike when ANYBODY cheers for somebody getting executed on death row...or in the case of Chauvin, getting shanked. Now if anybody cheered that Chauvin got shanked...then they're little better than the people who cheer when a person gets put to death.
A
thread 3/8
That's an ungodly, and unnatural blood lust. Also Chauvin's stabbing shows how fucked up the American prison system is. Yes, I know he's a killer, and I really REALLY hate what he did to George Floyd. However, realistically, Chauvin getting shanked in prison doesn't really help anything.
A
thread 4/8
It also doesn't help that it highlights how unsafe American prisons really are. I want my fellow Democrats to remember this. The jail/prison itself is supposed to be the punishment. Nothing more, nothing less. I also get that there's a huge racial disparity,
A
thread 5/8
The system won't change unless we demand change. This includes making sure that ALL inmates are safe, and are treated with the same human rights we demand of other countries. There was a quote spout that I made that had to prompt this thread.
A
thread 6/8
I do hope that there's no misunderstanding on where I'm coming from. Chauvin is in prison for the foreseeable future. He's not getting out on Goodtime since he's doing federal time concurrently with the state time, and there's no parole in the federal system.
A
thread 7/8
Finally those who stood by while he did it, also had plead guilty and are serving time/have served time. They couldn't get qualified immunity because even that would have been too egregious. When it comes to discussing our slipshod prison system.
A
thread 8/8
It's worth it to remember we cannot have the same bloodlust that supporters of the death penalty has. It is worth it to remember that inmates' lives (including those as vile as Derrick Chauvin) are worth keeping just the same.
Stealthy Rubber Chicken Squeezer
A
My take is I don't WANT him to die, just like I don't want anyone to die, but if he did I have other deaths I'll mourn more.
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
01:06 AM - Nov 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}