Marshall Julie
A
thread 1/7
Rosemary Vrablic used to be a colleague of my late father. It’s a bit of a story, so buckle up. 30+ years ago Rosemary was a bank teller in Manhattan, commuting in on the Metro-North train to Grand Central every day. One day on her way home the train she was on stopped in between stations for many
03:03 PM - Nov 29, 2023 (Edited)
Marshall Julie
A
thread 2/7
hours.

One of her fellow passengers was the Chief Loan Officer of the bank where my dad was Deputy General Counsel. The loan officer was named Howard Ross, and the bank was Bank Leumi of NY, a subsidiary of the Israeli bank of the same name. Ross thought she would make a good employee, so she
Marshall Julie
A
thread 3/7
joined the bank as a junior loan officer. Some time later a loan document appeared on my dad’s desk for his approval. The loan was to be made to to The Trump Organization. It wasn’t a huge loan, and it was a bridge loan, so not very long-term. The loan agreement disturbed my dad because it was
Marshall Julie
A
thread 4/7
not the bank’s standard loan agreement. It was in fact one of Donald’s one-page wonders.

My dad rejected the loan application. There was a small conflict between the Loan Department and the Legal Department, and eventually my dad allowed the loan to be written, on the condition that it was a
03:03 PM - Nov 29, 2023
Marshall Julie
A
thread 5/7
one-off and no further loans would be made to Donald or his organization.

Rosemary left the bank shortly thereafter, eventually landing at Deutsche Bank‘s private lending division, where she became Donald’s only source of loans in NY banking circles.

In the interval between Rosemary parting ways
Marshall Julie
A
thread 6/7
with Bank Leumi and starting at DB Donald had suffered his most major financial catastrophe of his “career.” This was in 1990. Since there was a policy at Bank Leumi not to lend money to The Trump Org, mostly due to my dad’s insistence, Leumi was unaffected by the haircuts forced on lenders by
Marshall Julie
A
thread 7/7
Donald’s mismanagement. He considered that a happy result, and was later promoted to General Counsel (i.e. Chief Legal Officer) of the bank.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}