Nefarious Newt
A
thread 1/7
We talk about "cults," but the fact is: every major religion is a cult. There are rules, interpreted by people who are the ONLY font of wisdom, that you are supposed to accept unerringly or face being ostracized. Of course, if you read the holy books, you realize you're being conned.
07:58 AM - Dec 01, 2023
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 2/7
It's why I consider myself a reformed Catholic. I follow the teachings of Jesus (to the best of my ability) and I DO NOT accept the primacy of the Roman Catholic Church. There is no "body of Christ," there is no need for hymns, no need for cathedrals, no need for priests, etc.
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 3/7
The Digital Information Age, if it teaches us anything, it's that WE have the power to decide what's right and wrong, based upon what we CHOOSE TO BELIEVE. As to things like "absolute truth," well, quantum physics tells me there's no such thing. There are only a handful of things I consider settled.
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 4/7
We don't get to murder other people for any reason. We do not get to steal from other people. We owe it to others to treat them with the kindness and decency that we expect for ourselves. We have no right to tell others how to live their lives. These are core precepts to me.
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 5/7
I didn't need a guy in robes standing at a lectern to tell me these things were important. I read The Bible when I was thirteen. It was all right there. And I have the inquisitiveness to understand that some of what I was reading was FANTASY, because it was written 2000+ years ago.
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 6/7
The major religions have power because they BUREAUCRATIZED IT. They created hierarchies, imbued certain people with fancy titles, and created curricula that THEY determined to be the essence of the faith. Is it any wonder cult leaders follow this model? IT WORKS!
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 7/7
Each of us has to make up our own mind. Follow our belief, our faith, our being, in whatever way works for us. Where there is conflict with others, we need to TALK IT OUT. Not fall back on dogma and ten thousand years of patriarchal hegemony. We can all believe different things and still be HUMAN.
Just_Jan
A
When I was in CCD the summer I turned 6, after being told repeatedly that God can hear you no matter where you are I asked “then why do I HAVE to be in church on Sunday?” Wasn’t long after that that I was no longer dragged to church.
In response to Nefarious Newt.
08:23 AM - Dec 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}