RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/8
#SpoutibleMarketing Okay I did share a post of Ronaldo getting sued from the Binance fiasco should be a fair warning to all influencers to be careful of what they endorse and which companies they should advertise with. This was on my mind for a day, and I wanted to get my thoughts in order.
10:07 PM - Dec 01, 2023
A
thread 2/8
Let me explain in detail what I mean. When an influencer, or celeb wants to make extra cash they may turn to sponsorship or endorsement deals. This is hyper common in the sports and content creating worlds. In fact if you've watched YouTube, or Twitch, you'd know those self-insert ads in videos.
A
thread 3/8
While there are good companies out there, there are some that are beyond shady. This is where influencers must do their homework. For example, there was as thing called Established Titles that was a short grease fire. The premise of it was this. You brought a "title" a Scottish one.
A
thread 4/8
If I remember the details correctly. It came out that that company cannot legally do that. Once that came out, a lot of commenters on videos with the sponsorship straight out let the creators know. Most have cut the ads out of those videos, since they didn't want to be associated with that.
A
thread 5/8
The reverse is also true for companies. Many advertisers don't want to be associated with...well...a kettlehead. For example there's one Youtuber I used to follow, was doing decently. However, they picked a fight with an actual lawyer over editing styles...and that spiraled. For this person...
A
thread 6/8
A lot of people have let the advertisers know about them. The Advertisers in turn terminated their contracts. A lot of those advertisements included Hello Fresh, Mint Mobile, Purple Mattress, etc. For a content creator...these ad deals are major money. To lose that is a huge loss.
A
thread 7/8
Now, if you are in content creation, do be careful. Pick the sponsors you want to pick. Also per FTC rules, you must actually use those products and services. You must also disclose if you received the product as part of the ad payments. The second part is to do your homework.
A
thread 8/8
If a company like Binance can go under, and get influencers sued...it can happen to you. Remember, the trust scale goes both ways...and you in this position should make sure you're not being a kettlehead, and also making sure you have reputable companies.
10:07 PM - Dec 01, 2023 (Edited)
dariasteigman
A
I learned a long time ago that if you can't understand the business model? Back away.

And if "people" say that "you just don't understand but our core users do"?

RUN.
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
10:28 PM - Dec 01, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}