stephen matlock
A
thread 1/7
#Duolingo is not my primary method of learning Haitian Creole. It sometimes uses old-fashioned vocabulary or word spellings. But it is still useful to keep me practicing every day, and I've been using it since March 2022.
10:48 AM - Dec 05, 2023
stephen matlock
A
thread 2/7
After I aced the course, I stopping using it because there were no worlds left to conquer. But one of my instructors wants us to use it for daily practice, so I'm back in the game.
stephen matlock
A
thread 3/7
I still make some very foolish mistakes due to fat fingers or impatience. And sometimes the examples presented for "grammar" are flat-out bogus. (My favorite is the English sentence "I to walk.")

But I use it to keep me grounded in the basics.
stephen matlock
A
thread 4/7
Would I do it again if I started from scratch?

Yes. My first month of using only Duolingo gave me enough confidence in pronunciation that when I started with my first instructor I could generally manage the texts they had me read.
stephen matlock
A
thread 5/7
I started with zero knowledge of Haitian Creole, and zero real knowledge of French. (I read a lot of stuff, including older texts, and you can't escape French if you read English literature or British content.)

So Duolingo was a great way to get into the system of sounds and spelling.
stephen matlock
A
thread 6/7
I'm not fluent yet, of course. Getting to that point takes practice speaking and listening to native speakers, of which there are few where I live (Seattle, Washington).

I am confident that I will one day be more comfortable speaking and responding to native speakers.
stephen matlock
A
thread 7/7
I look forward to 2024 and my language journey.

And yes, I'll still be using Duolingo.

Who knows, maybe they'll figure out that "I to walk" is both bad Creole and bad English!

😂😂😂😂😂

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}