The Harlander ✅
A
thread 1/15
Latke Absolutism

It is almost about time to light the first candle of Hanukkah. It is Latke time. A wave of recipes will crash down upon us.

Ignore them.

This is the only latke recipe you need.
10:22 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 2/15
To understand it however we have to take a step back and address a basic question: why make Latkes?

For love.

Latkes are love. Love in its broadest sense in addition to something more narrow, like potato love.
Carrot latkes? no. Beet latkes? atrocious. Onions? Get behind me Satan.
10:26 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 3/15
These are your ingredients:

Start with 8 medium potatoes, about 3 lbs.
4 Jumbo eggs, or 6 medium. An extra egg is fine if you are so inclined.
1 cup of matzo meal
1 tsp Salt & Pepper to taste
Enough Canola or Sunflower oil for frying, 1 1/2 inches of oil.

That is it. Nothing more… nothing less.
10:29 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 4/15
Step 1: Peel your potatoes. Submerge in water in a stainless steel bowl as soon as you are done peeling. Let them rest for 20 minutes, and contemplate the Maccabees.

Step 2: Stage the oil and the cast iron pan on the stove. Get ready to turn the heat on the oil….but not yet.
10:31 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 5/15
Step 3: Remove a potato from the bowl and hand grate the potatoes into a separate large mixing bowl. This part is essential. Do not use a food processor, or any other mechanical contrivance. The quality of the hand grated potato is immeasurably better than any other texture. Why ?

… for love.
10:34 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 6/15
Grate quickly. The potatoes will begin to oxidize as soon as they are grated, and start to turn brown. The goal is to complete grating all the potatoes before they start to turn, so be focussed, grate quickly and efficiently. Start the oil heating. The oil should be hot when the prep is done.
10:35 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 7/15
Step 4: Once your potatoes are grated, and in the bowl, add the eggs, the salt and pepper. . Using your hand and thoroughly mix the egg throughout the grated potato. You can’t mix this too thoroughly. Basically the egg must coat all of the potato.
10:37 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 8/15
Step 4A: Should look like this when mixed. And you are feeling the love aren’t you ?
10:39 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 9/15
Step 5: once thoroughly mixed, add 1/2 of the matzo meal into the mix. Hand mix the Matzo Meal into the potatoes and eggs, until thoroughly blended. At this point add the rest of the matzo meal, and work it in. You can add more matzo meal, or less, depending on the consistancy.
10:44 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 10/15
Step 5A: This is ready for the fry pan. At this point everyone should be at the table. Other dishes should already be served and your guests should be ready for the main event. Of Course, small dishes of applesauce and sour cream should already be on the table
10:48 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 11/15
Step 6: Using a largish spoon drop a nice lump of the latke batter into the oil which should be at a good hot temperature. Use the spoon to the spread the latke out. I get about 7 latkes at a time in my cast iron fry pan.
10:52 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 12/15
Move quickly and don’t be too fussy about perfection. Your latkes are already perfect and full of love.

Step 7: Flip after about 3 minutes or when the latkes are golden brown. Another minute or two until the other side is similarly fried. Serve immediately.
10:55 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 13/15
Do not cook all the latkes and bring them to the table all at once. Do not wait. Do not make in advance. The Latke must get to the table directly from the fry pan. Keep making latkes and immediately serving them to the table until you run out of batter or your guests are full.
10:56 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 14/15
That's it. Latke Absolutism.

I'll leave you all with this:

“You need love.

Hopefully it's love for the people you're cooking for, because the greatest and most memorable meals are as much about who you ate with as they are about what you ate.
10:59 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
thread 15/15
But love for what you're doing, and for the ingredients you're doing it with, will more than suffice.”

- Anthony Bourdain, Les Halles Cookbook
11:00 AM - Dec 06, 2023
Where is the love??
A
I haven't had latkes before, and my mouth is watering after reading this thread.
In response to The Harlander ✅.
11:24 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Harlander ✅
A
In response to Where is the love??.
If inclined, give this recipe a try. In fact, you’re quite lucky, as your first experience will be with the latke type specimen. I’m here to help if you have questions!
11:34 AM - Dec 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}