Read aBannedBook
A
thread 1/8
When I worked at a university, I attended several active shooter training sessions. Many of the faculty and staff came to view an active shooter incident as quite possible, almost inevitable, and we wanted to be as prepared as possible. Back then I had a plan if necessary.
10:25 PM - Dec 06, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 2/8
The library I worked in was small, one big room, with one entrance and two fire exits on one side. My office was in the back of the library, and I always kept my door open but the knob locked because we were told to have a quick way to lock ourselves in a room if necessary.
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 3/8
But my office, though a decent size, was like a closet. Actually, it used to be a closet. And the wood door, though quite heavy, wouldn't have been much protection against an AR-15.
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 4/8
The officer who did the training said if there was time, get out and get away. So if there was time to evacuate, if we heard shots from a distance, my plan was to get everyone out the side fire doors.
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 5/8
Living in constant fear is untenable. The children who have never known safety, whose schools could become a war zone in a blink of an eye - this is not right.
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 6/8
I blame Republicans for the inaction, for their support of the NRA, for the gun manufacturers. I'm tired of the constant and unending babbling about thoughts and prayers. To put more value in money and power than in the sanctity of life is unconscionable.
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 7/8
Everyone knows it's the guns. Allowing mass ownership of weapons of war makes no sense. Nothing will change unless we vote the Republicans out. Next election year is pivotal for the future of the US. Now is not the time to vote 3rd party or to not vote at all, thinking they're all the same.
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 8/8
Because they're not all the same.
J.D. Cunegan
A
I'm two months in to my job at a state university. Part of my state-mandated training included what to do in the event of an active shooter.

Also, terrorist attack (since we're literally down the street from a massive naval base).

Lovely.
In response to Read aBannedBook.
11:18 PM - Dec 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}