Landy Fella ?????????
A
Good morning. Coffee is on. Did some baking last night so it’s sausage rolls and banitsa for breakfast.
02:05 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Info Junkie
A
In response to Landy Fella ?????????.
Oh, shades of my childhood! My grandmother used to make Banitsa for all the family gatherings. She would make a ball of dough from flour, salt and water, then use her pin to roll it into a table cloth of phyllo Once done, she would hold it up and tell me, "must be see through, not break".
02:23 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Landy Fella ?????????
A
In response to Info Junkie.
How wonderful. One of the ladies in the village has tried to teach me how to roll the pastry, I just sat there in awe. The patience and skill, inspiring. I cheat and get store bought 😂
02:48 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Info Junkie
A
SAME! Her pin looked like a dowl rod, or even a broom handle someone had polished until it had a beautiful sheen. I never came close to making it like she did and defaulted to store bought.
02:52 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Landy Fella ?????????
A
Oh my! Yes, my neighbour was using a broom handle, it was the only thing big enough to stretch across the table. It was silky smooth and hung on the wall. I suspect it was an heirloom.
02:58 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Info Junkie
A
Haha! They knew how to get it done. What fun to share this with you!

Question: Just last week, I was trying to find the word for boiled pig skin. I have no idea how it's spelled. Pronounced, co-shoo. Do you happen to know?
03:07 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Landy Fella ?????????
A
Thats th treat living in a tiny village, it is still very hands on.

I think I know what you mean свинска кожа (svinska koja), pork skin. Boiled and filled with stuffing or pickled, grilled etc. I think i have seen it next to the pigs feet but have steered clar as i didn’t really know what it wa
03:28 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Info Junkie
A
Thank you!!! Koja fits. Your reluctance is understandable. Do try it if you can.

I like the boiled skin on it's own, scraped of fat and lightly salted. But then again, I grew up living next door to a grandmother who made head cheese from the actual pig's head. And I like that as well.
03:40 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Landy Fella ?????????
A
Head cheese, i like that but have only had village made and that makes a difference. I shall try the skin, you piqued my interest.

There are so many foods here that I can’t get enough of that I wouldn’t touch in the U.K. Tongue here is to die for.
03:54 AM - Mar 03, 2023 (Edited)
Info Junkie
A
Yes! You're right, tongue is very good. If you like head cheese, you're sure to like the skin. It's kind of like eating head cheese without the aspic.
04:21 AM - Mar 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}