MagdaBoyo
A
“Gypsy” is a racial slur—it is offensive to Romani people. No one who isn’t Romani should call themselves a Gypsy—Romani is an ethnicity, not a lifestyle. Our name is Romani, Roma, or Romany. Don’t say ye have a gypsy soul—say ye are a nomad or a hippie. Don’t say “gypped.”
05:36 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Sam Slotsky
A
In response to MagdaBoyo.
After learning this, I found myself wondering about manouche jazz. Many still refer to music in the style of Django Reinhardt as "Gypsy jazz," including those who still practice the tradition, and I've often wondered if we maybe shouldn't say that...
07:34 AM - Mar 03, 2023
MagdaBoyo
A
In response to Sam Slotsky.
Romani often call themselves Gypsy—I call my kids Gypsy. Reinhardt was half Gypsy—calling it Gypsy Jazz makes us proud. Selling clothes and calling them a gypsy skirt though is wrong
08:08 AM - Mar 03, 2023
DJohnRowinski
A
My son did a genetic heritage test. 50% was a mix of West, East and Central African. The rest was an amalgam of European with 6% Indian. I was adopted so wonder if that Indian might be Romani bloodline
06:42 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Jasra - no DMs
A
Thank you for saying that. Though my family likes to ignore it, I have strong Romani heritage.
06:23 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Julie B
A
I did not know. Thank you for sharing.💙
06:14 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Katie E
A
Thank you for that, I had no idea, but that makes sense now. I'll not use that word.
05:37 AM - Mar 03, 2023
MagdaBoyo
A
In response to Katie E.
Thank ye!
05:38 AM - Mar 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}