RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
Germany had the right idea, to make real history mandatory for their students. Why you ask because Germany does not want to go back to those dark days, and they're going to make sure nobody forgets the history.
08:35 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Kirk Taylor
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
The question that terrifies me is how much abject horror will we inflict upon our own citizens before we come to the same realization that the German citizens did?
11:27 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Portia McGonagal
A
Tell this. When I visited Dachau, it was good to see several German school groups there. You could tell from the looks on many faces that they were processing their country's history and how hard it was for them to see. As it should be.
09:32 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Freedom Over Fascism Podcast
A
We're still in the pre-Holocaust version of Germany, and post-slavery version of America. 1/3-1/2 of US still believes that slavery and Jim Crow were ok. In Germany, between the Nuremberg trials, the Eichmann trial and the Marshall plan, Germany had to stare unspeakable horror in the face.
09:31 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Ruben, The Norse Whisperer
A
Yeah, Germany handles the dark and painful chapters of its history with great humility, honesty, and decency. Not only the Holocaust, the camps, and the killings, but also the East/West division.
09:17 AM - Mar 03, 2023
RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
In response to Ruben, The Norse Whisperer.
Yeah in Germany, Holocaust denial is punishable with heavy fines and jail time.
11:03 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Alexander J. McKinley, QBE
A
Those who forget the lessons of the past...
08:40 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Oliver Gibson
A
As a German I can confirm this. History class is not only thorough, it also includes a field trip to one of the former camps. It was a life changing experience for me. I will never forget it and sure as hell will always be an antifascist.
08:37 AM - Mar 03, 2023 (Edited)
Sarah Maria
A
In response to Oliver Gibson.
True. I was in Sachsenhausen as a teen and it still haunts me.
08:47 AM - Mar 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}