Timara (she/her)
A
thread 1/5
At the beginning of #MTVCouplesRetreat , there's a part where the couples are asking each other questions and answering them. I can't remember the exact question but Fatboy's answer was alarming. He essentially said that he'd repeatedly cross Tiana's boundaries.

And that's not right. Here's why...
10:13 PM - Jun 20, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 2/5
Men need to unlearn that crossing someone's boundaries is synonymous with love and applying appropriate pressure in a relationship.

Actually, crossing boundaries has the potential to be abusive. And when it's not abusive, it's still wrong.
10:15 PM - Jun 20, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 3/5
And this doesn't refer to just intimate partners. I can't tell you how many times I've had boundaries intentionally and repeatedly crossed in professional and friendly settings.

Those same boundaries were also crossed with intimate partnerships.
10:16 PM - Jun 20, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 4/5
When you disregard someone's boundaries, especially when they've explicitly stated them, what you're saying is you don't respect them or their boundaries.

Even when they haven't explicitly stated them, you're still saying you don't value their autonomy.
10:19 PM - Jun 20, 2023
Timara (she/her)
A
thread 5/5
Because what this comes down to is whether or not you've gotten consent to do X, Y, Z.

I think patriarchy has given men a false sense that they don't need anyone's consent...except when applied in reverse.

And that's truly sad.
10:22 PM - Jun 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}