Danalibrariana
A
thread 1/8
Sharing something I observed yesterday - a story about stress and the importance of self care:

Yesterday, finals started at the university where I work as a librarian. The library hosts activities to help students and staff relax during finals week including bringing in therapy dogs.
10:26 AM - Dec 09, 2023
Danalibrariana
A
thread 2/8
The same group brings the dogs each semester and it’s well attended. I visit the dogs when they come ‘cause I love dogs. One regular attendee is a huge mastiff named Mini. Mini is a lovely, gentle giant and a favorite among the therapy dogs. (Pictured below)
Danalibrariana
A
thread 3/8
The therapy dogs visited yesterday and while I was there petting the dogs and chatting with students, I noticed a touching and heartbreaking moment. One of our student athletes whom I’ve helped, kneeled in front of Mini. He’s a big guy, so when he kneeled they were face to face.
Danalibrariana
A
thread 4/8
Our sports teams have done well this year, but that means they have now have post season games and practices rolling into finals week. This student is very focused on his studies and has talked about struggling to juggle everything he needs to do.
Danalibrariana
A
thread 5/8
As the student kneeled in front of this massive dog, they leaned toward each other and touched foreheads. For the longest time, they stayed connected that way and I noticed tears in his eyes.
Danalibrariana
A
thread 6/8
After a few minutes, I saw his shoulders start to relax and a massive shudder go through his body. I’ve shuddered like that when all the stress I’ve bottled up finally releases. Mini quietly and gently absorbed all of his stress, then laid her head on his shoulder.
Danalibrariana
A
thread 7/8
He wrapped his arms around Mini’s neck and embraced her for a long time. Then, he grabbed his backpack and headed off to where he needed to go.
Danalibrariana
A
thread 8/8
It was a good reminder to me that we have no idea the stress and sorrow others are shouldering. Simply being present for them can be a meaningful gift. Also, taking care of ourselves in stressful times is one of the best gifts we can give ourselves. 💙🐶

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}