Nefarious Newt
A
thread 1/10
I'm sitting here in severe pain from climbing ladders to hang Christmas lights and holiday decorations, wreathes and candles, and cleaning and putting my home in some semblance of order for the season. Nothing focuses the mind like pain. It makes you see clearly. It gets neurons going.
10:35 AM - Dec 10, 2023
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 2/10
I've been an emotional wreck all week. I'm not sure what's causing it, other than the raft of news from around the nation and world that seems to sear my soul almost daily. I weep for Israel AND Palestine, I weep for Ukraine, for Sudan, for everyone with a uterus facing a hard choice...
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 3/10
There are solutions to all the world's problems, but the apathy is so thick now, the digital baubles so shiny, that people are lured away from emotional reactions about the events they see before them. The Internet is an anesthetic for the mind, rather than a fire to light the wood of curiosity.
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 4/10
The great mass of us have the power to FORCE change. The power mad money grubbers at the tip of the societal pyramid know this. They distract us at every turn, fake sincerity, give a pittance to charity to whitewash the facade of their greed. That should fire an enduring anger in us, but it doesn't.
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 5/10
We get outraged at every little thing, and there are so many "little things," that our stock of drive to make change occur is depleted. Everyone is waiting for SOMEONE ELSE to fix the problem. But what happens when the buck gets passed and passed and passed and winds up in the mud at our feet?
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 6/10
Not every can do everything, but each one of us can do SOMETHING. One snowflake does not MAKE an avalanche, but it can TRIGGER ONE, if all the other snowflakes there are ready to be sprung loose. Right now, there is no avalanche in us; we are a soggy, misshapen heap of snow on the ground.
10:35 AM - Dec 10, 2023 (Edited)
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 7/10
I don't know where all this ends, specifically, but the history books tell me that when any group, any empire, any nation reaches this stage, it invariably collapses under the weight of its own importance. Start at the USSR and work your way back; a peak is reached and then the collapse begins.
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 8/10
Why should the United States be any different. Lincoln knew it, even as he was trying to stitch the nation back together. He had understood that no enemy would topple us, only our own hubris could do that. And here we are, at the doorstep to self-destruction, helped along by a world waiting for it.
10:35 AM - Dec 10, 2023 (Edited)
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 9/10
If the world's only remaining superpower falls, there will be joyous celebrations by the hundred of millions we have wronged over the centuries in our desire to be the dominant force on the planet. Don't kid yourself; they'll clap, at least until the nuclear chaos erupts. We're NOT all powerful.
Nefarious Newt
A
thread 10/10
The only way to prevent that from happening is to recognize our own self-indulgence, and make the alterations necessary to make progress dominant and conservative thinking recessive. It starts with acknowledging our imperfection and working within it to make the necessary changes. It's a start.
Katie Navy Vet
A
In response to Nefarious Newt.
My christmas decoration is a balsam/cedar candle I got yesterday.
11:16 AM - Dec 10, 2023
Nefarious Newt
A
In response to Katie Navy Vet.
Does it make you feel good?
11:17 AM - Dec 10, 2023
Puckarama
A
In response to Nefarious Newt.
Well articulated.
11:14 AM - Dec 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}