Kirk Taylor
A
I have been tuning and repairing pianos for over 40 years. Ask me anything about tuning, regulating or repairing your piano
03:47 PM - Dec 13, 2023
Kerri Koenig
A
In response to Kirk Taylor.
What’s the best way to find a reliable piano tuner in one’s area?
04:12 PM - Dec 13, 2023
Kirk Taylor
A
In response to Kerri Koenig.
Couple ways. Ask a few piano teachers, and if you happen to know anyone who works at a local theater where acoustic music is performed and they have a good piano of their own, ask them.
04:14 PM - Dec 13, 2023
Woke/Saying NO to polls
A
Is it okay to leave the lid up on a baby grand?
04:09 PM - Dec 13, 2023
Kirk Taylor
A
In response to Woke/Saying NO to polls.
It’s absolutely ok, but they are huge dust magnets, and if you have a cat I would recommend keeping it closed most of the time. The hair! The hair!
04:11 PM - Dec 13, 2023
Michigander
A
Is it really necessary to tune a piano every year? I'm learning to play and I only practice for an hour or so a day and I have a limited budget.
Thanks for offering this Q&A! ♥️
03:57 PM - Dec 13, 2023
Kirk Taylor
A
In response to Michigander.
No not necessarily at all. That’s an easy rule of thumb but it depends firstly on your ear: does it sound bad? Most people would say they can’t really tell of course so “1x/yr” is just a simple approach. The weather + location in the house is a huge factor. Keep away from temp & humidity changes.
04:05 PM - Dec 13, 2023
E
A
What's the best way to learn? Is there a go-to book? My roommate and I are both lifelong autodidacts who want to learn, and we have 2 player pianos and a harmonium. We have some books, but more pointed direction is always welcome.
03:54 PM - Dec 13, 2023
Kirk Taylor
A
In response to E.
In my opinion it just takes a massive amount of practice and patience, on a par with how long it takes to really play one well. A school is undoubtedly the best way, where you can immerse yourself in it for a year or more
04:00 PM - Dec 13, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
How did you get into the field? Tuning your own piano?
03:49 PM - Dec 13, 2023
Kirk Taylor
A
In response to Salma Typhii.
Hi Salma not really. I was a music major in piano performance at Humboldt State U in the late ‘70s, and I had always loved making and fixing things, so rather than trying to make a living playing or teaching I went to a trade school in Texas for a year to learn how

My year in Texas is a whole novel
03:56 PM - Dec 13, 2023
RealAntifaHQ
A
. . . can you tuna fish . . ?

sorry
03:47 PM - Dec 13, 2023
Kirk Taylor
A
In response to RealAntifaHQ.
No I can’t tuna fish, and Mr Opporknockity only tunes once. Might as well get both of the piano tuner jokes out of the way😅
03:52 PM - Dec 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}