Alex Morss
A
For #WorldBookDay I’m sharing my snoring dormouse + a 🧵 of winter animal secrets from our children’s nature book which he inspired. I recorded him unexpectedly whilst in the woods researching how climate change affects hibernation. I still enjoy listening to him. Head to link in🧵to hear him. 🥰
04:26 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Alex Morss
A
In response to Alex Morss.
Head to my Twitter video at morss_alex to hear him snoring: https://twitter.com/morss_alex/status/1601523686754127873?s=46&t=4rXrUmLncbeARLfo5cBxGQ

Our children’s book explores where lots of wildlife disappears to & how it copes. It’s available at all the usual places & the link in my bio.
04:32 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Alex Morss
A
❄️🌨
“Nothing’s alive in winter!”
Granny told me, “It is…”
04:45 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Alex Morss
A
🐭😴
04:47 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Alex Morss
A
Bats are all tucked up now. In cold places they spend most or all of winter chilling upside down, snoozing in their roosts. Their heartbeats fall to 20bpm. They store special warming brown fat on their backs & bellies to give them enough energy to survive. During mild spells some will emerge.
04:51 AM - Mar 03, 2023
Alex Morss
A
❄️ 🐻 ❄️
Time to rest. Wise bears put life on pause & stay in bed when things get harsh. That’s an appealing idea isn’t it?! Bears cope with cold by going into a deep sleepy state of #torpor . It’s not quite full-on hibernation, but it saves energy when there’s not much food around.
05:06 PM - Mar 03, 2023
Alex Morss
A
❄️🐻‍❄️ #WinterSleep
As darkness falls a pregnant polar bear knows what to do. She retreats to rest in her den under snow. She doesn’t fully hibernate but she slows down and fasts for months. Her cubs will be born here and doze snuggled up in her warm fur.
05:11 PM - Mar 03, 2023
Alex Morss
A
❄️ Sleeping in the freezer: The Arctic ground squirrel gets so chilly her brain almost freezes. She survives through winter with the coldest body of any hibernating mammal. Her heart will only beat once per minute.

📖 Winter Sleep: A Hibernation Story.
05:15 PM - Mar 03, 2023
Alex Morss
A
More to come…
06:33 PM - Mar 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}