Socio-gen
A
thread 1/5
I've been bingeing a bunch of archaeology shows, and I have a question for any archaeologist or fan of archaeology:

Do archaeologists always assume that anything with an unknown purpose must have "ritual" significance, instead of "it was pretty and looked good on the mantel?"
10:50 AM - Nov 27, 2023
Socio-gen
A
thread 2/5
In some contexts, it makes sense to assume something has ritual significance (burials, etc). But when you've found an Iron Age settlement and there's a nice bowl or something, why assume it had to be part of a ritual?
10:54 AM - Nov 27, 2023
Socio-gen
A
thread 3/5
I keep wondering what future archaeologists will think when they find the remains of my house in 1500-2000 years.

"This object must have had ritual significance."

The object: a gorgeous hand-blown bowl I got during an art crawl in Fargo. I use it to store pens and such.
11:01 AM - Nov 27, 2023 (Edited)
Socio-gen
A
thread 4/5
Mind you, I love archaeology and I live vicariously through these shows. I use to play archaeologist as a kid and dug holes all over our yard. (When I was 6, I used my mom's big spoon and my sister's toothbrush to carefully unearth a skeleton. Which turned out to be the previous house owner's cat.)
11:16 AM - Nov 27, 2023
Socio-gen
A
thread 5/5
My daughter just pointed out to me that my glass bowl has more significance than I thought -- because it's also where I put the dozen or so foreign coins I've collected over the years (and three tokens for a now-defunct amusement park).

It's a hoard, folks! 😂😂
11:28 AM - Nov 27, 2023 (Edited)
Biblical Archaeology Society
A
In response to Socio-gen.
10:19 AM - Dec 14, 2023
Socio-gen
A
In response to Biblical Archaeology Society.
That is so cool!!
10:41 AM - Dec 14, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}