Jonathan Wright
A
thread 1/3
Aimless rant time!

Willow in 1997's Buffy the Vampire Slayer television show is/was/and will remain a lesbian no matter how hard people want to rewrite her as bisexual. Creator Joss Whedon says she would've been bi, but any form of gay representation was difficult to get past tv censors.
11:06 AM - Dec 14, 2023
Jonathan Wright
A
thread 2/3
Her relationships with men prior, any magic-related nonsense controlling her, etc doesn't make her bi. Plenty of lesbians had het relationships before coming out.

Is bi-erasure real? Absolutely. This isn't it.

Yes, it's a fictional character, but we do the same in reality.
Jonathan Wright
A
thread 3/3
It's a passionate issue because I am a 36-year-old cis gay man who had relationships with women before coming out as gay as a teen.

I got with the women I felt comfortable "pursuing" so I could fit in. Willow was doing the same.

It's disgusting people are with strangers' sexual orientations.
Michelle King
A
In response to Jonathan Wright.
That's a fair rant! Willow says she's gay, so she's gay. That's it. End of story.
11:49 AM - Dec 14, 2023
Jonathan Wright
A
In response to Michelle King.
I do not mind people making the argument. It's more the disrespect of questioning the person. She's fictional, but we question her sexuality because we do that in real life to actual human beings. I don't want to invalidate the bi experience, but her storyline exists in lesbian/gay spaces too.
12:25 PM - Dec 14, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}