Patrick Madden
A
thread 1/6
Is there a way we can get people (or the media) to care about lying? I keep coming back to this; it seems like the cornerstone of this entire era of bullshit.

Earlier GOP politicians would fudge numbers, spin, and frankly, the Dems did this too. But Donny took the whole thing to another level.
08:23 PM - Dec 14, 2023
Patrick Madden
A
thread 2/6
Birtherism is a good place to start. There was never any evidence that Obama was born anywhere other than Hawaii. The Kenya BS was a plain on its face lie, something no one should have bought.

But Obama was black, and for a good chunk of US citizens were willing to pretend to believe the lie.
Patrick Madden
A
thread 3/6
I really want to hit this point. There are racists. Lots of them. With a burning hatred of Obama, and unable to express that hatred.

In walks Donny with what everyone knows is a lie... But all the racists pretend to believe, and get their jollies without the ridicule. They're patriots!
Patrick Madden
A
thread 4/6
It's the same schtick every time. Hillary and pizzagate (and emails). Ted Cruz and the JFK assassination (and stealing Iowa caucuses). Banning Muslims, demonizing immigrants, Hunter's laptop....

Tell a lie, and the worst people in the world pretend to believe it.

But I really don't think they do.
Patrick Madden
A
thread 5/6
I've stopped buying that the Trumpers "believe" what they say - and I've been telling them that I know that they're liars. Because they know their liars too.

My thought is that if they know that they're not "getting away" with a lie, they'll be less likely to do it.

It's not much, maybe helps?
Patrick Madden
A
thread 6/6
Until the voting GOP base stops accepting (and repeating) lies, the GOP politicians won't stop telling them.

We've been aiming the ridicule at the GOP pols, but I think it's the base that needs to feel the heat.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}