Joanna
A
Oh. This looks great - "3 Body Problem" is a Sci Fi series based on a novel by Liu Cixin. They say the book is a masterpiece. Showrunners are David Benioff and D. B. Weiss from Game of Thrones. Coming in Jan 2024.
3 Body Problem | Official Teaser | Netflix - YouTube

From the creators of Game of Thrones comes a stunning new blockbuster series unlike anything you’ve seen before. This is your first look at 3 Body Problem.SU...

11:28 AM - Jun 21, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
In response to Joanna.
12:46 PM - Nov 12, 2023
Joanna
A
In response to Jonathan Meyers.
I am really looking forward to it. Hope and believe it will be fantastic
10:33 AM - Nov 14, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
In response to Joanna.
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are brilliant guys who have shown they can take a complex world and design an impactful TV series. I just wish Netflix would do weekly episodes on premium new shows... it helps build anticipation and audience. The "season drop" model tends to minimize the publicity.
10:44 AM - Nov 14, 2023
Joanna
A
Dave and Dan did an incredible job with GOT - some hiccups of course and a few things they didn't get right, but still great. I wish them the best. Agree about dropping all the episodes together. It's a mistake. You forget it in a week or two. It's gone. No suspense. no wonder. just another series.
10:54 AM - Nov 14, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
In response to Joanna.
Totally- they took a 5000+ pages of a semi-obscure book series and turned it into the most compelling series ever created (not to mention the biggest TV show in the world). The weekly release definitely contributed to slow boil of popularity the show experienced in the early seasons.
11:45 AM - Nov 14, 2023 (Edited)
Jonathan Meyers
A
Netflix is stubbornly clinging to the full season drop. That makes sense for a series that aired previously, but new premium shows need the "buzz" that the weekly anticipation/view/analysis cycle creates. Netflix sometimes breaks seasons into "parts", but it's not enough.
11:47 AM - Nov 14, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
A show simply can't gain momentum when there is no collective viewing experience. The retort is "i want to watch as much as I want when I want to" but that implies wanting new seasons & it's less likely for a show to be renewed if less people are watching it which is true of the season drop model.
11:50 AM - Nov 14, 2023
Joanna
A
when GOT began, I knew nothing abt it. But I trusted HBO. they always produce quality. So I watched the first 2 eps, thought "yes" and was reeled in. Week by week, read up on the story behind the story, waited for the next yr. For 8 years I thought of little else. That is the definition of success.
02:22 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
In response to Joanna.
Wow, that describes my experience almost perfectly. I saw a trailer before it aired, thought "that looks like something I would like" & then I signed up for up HBO & was sitting on my couch when that very first episode aired. I became an evangelist for the show (I converted many of my co-workers.)
03:13 PM - Nov 14, 2023 (Edited)
Joanna
A
well, I recruited my closest friend which was a miracle because we never like the same shows and she's not into 'anything fantasy' at all. That said, she was uninterested in GOT backstory (or it was too complicated for her to bother) and to add insult to injury, totally snubbed LOTR :)
03:39 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
In response to Joanna.
Good work on the recruitment! That's the genius of how the show is designed, even non-fantasy people were very much drawn in. The back-stories certainly interested me-- some under-discussed pieces are the short blu-ray extras in the early seasons that provide lore & history narrated by the actors.
03:43 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Joanna
A
re: the show, I still pose questions (to myself) for example: if Catelyn had lived, learned the truth abt Jon, what would she have done - apologised? Perhaps not - Tully pride. I'm (finally) reading the books - the differences are interesting. And I still rewatch the whole thing, frequently,
04:03 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
In response to Joanna.
An under-recognized attribute of the show is that there ARE open questions... some viewers think shows need to explain everything but as in life, there are unknowns... I have one for you: why did Tywin allow Tyrion to be convicted? Was Tywin involved in Joffrey's death? It's hinted but only subtly.
04:13 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
I read the books AFTER viewing. I read the first book after S1, 2nd book after S2 etc. The differences are interesting and make me appreciate D&D's choices (which GRRM praised early on). Shhhh--- don't tell anyone I said this but the books are over-rated!! 😬
04:15 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
I'm grateful for the world that GRRM imagined & to D&D for creating the best show ever made. BUT consider Tolkien built a world to tell a story. GRRM built a world to tell a story but then got so lost in the world that he became unable to tell the core story (the tragedy of Jon and Daenerys).
04:18 PM - Nov 14, 2023 (Edited)
Joanna
A
the book series isn't finished and perhaps will never be finished. I'm not overly impressed with GRRM's writing style but he tells a good story. Tolkien is in a class of his own: scholar, professor, contributed to the Oxford English dictionary, wrote a whole language. There's no comparison
05:21 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
In response to Joanna.
Agreed- I told people when I started reading that "it's not great literature". He tells some good stories and lots of meandering. He says he's a "gardener", not an "architect". I think he started as an architect (with the under-appreciated scene of the direwolf pups) but got lost in later books.
04:19 PM - Nov 15, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
Tolkien is in a class of his own. He clearly influenced GRRM as did some classic that I have been reading to understand their impact on GOT (both GRRM and D&D). That includes Homer's Odyssey (which I wrote a GOT article about), Herodotus, and The Iliad which I'm reading now (article forthcoming).
04:21 PM - Nov 15, 2023
Joanna
A
I'd be interested to read that article when you publish it. And the older one that includes Homer's Odyssey
09:27 AM - Nov 17, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
In response to Joanna.
Thanks for your interest! I just finished reading The Iliad and only have an outline of articles comparing it with GOT. But this is the article about The Odyssey:
https://hbowatch.com/the-inspiration-of-the-odyssey-similarities-between-the-odyssey-and-game-of-thr...
11:15 AM - Dec 09, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
This is Part 1. There is a 2nd piece featuring quotes-- and a still unwritten Part 3 which will compare the endings of The Odyssey and Game of Thrones which have some interesting parallels.
11:16 AM - Dec 09, 2023
Joanna
A
reading now. observation abt guest rights: it's not "Xenia" - it's "Filoxenia" (Φιλοξενία) - a blanket word for hospitality. Filoxenia is 2 joined Greek words: kiss / filo - / φιλώ ( (= αγαπώ, agapo, love) AND xenos / ξένος / stranger.

p.s. I'm Greek
03:36 AM - Dec 15, 2023
Jonathan Meyers
A
Thanks for the entomology! I love this. For some reason in the US this term is often cited as "xenia", but we always bastardize things here in America. I'm going to send this to the teacher that took me through the Iliad/Odyssey & to my mom (Greek-lover/student and former teacher). Thanks for this!
In response to Joanna.
06:33 AM - Dec 15, 2023
Joanna
A
you're welcome :)
07:02 AM - Dec 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}