Adam Vadnais
A
thread 1/3
Question: Where is all the angry music? Am I just too old and don’t hear it?

Since the 60’s, there has always been a current of angry, usually political, music that could be found. Rock, folk, soul, hip hop, country, and even early dance music all had something to say about current events.
03:21 PM - Dec 15, 2023
Adam Vadnais
A
thread 2/3
But by the time Obama was in office, the only real anger ot rebellion you heard was in right-wing country music. Rage Against the Machine is basically a classic rock act. No major hip hop releases really seem to have much to say either (although maybe I’m missing it?)
Adam Vadnais
A
thread 3/3
I bring this up because I hear “Blue Sky Mining” by Midnight Oil today and was astounded by how power this song remains, and it’s basically a clear cut, anti-capitalist workers-rights anthem - and it was a top-40 hit! Like this wasn’t a minor release!
Khaim Morton
A
In response to Adam Vadnais.
Have you listened to Run The Jewels? Lot of good music, social and political commentary
12:37 AM - Dec 25, 2023
Adam Vadnais
A
In response to Khaim Morton.
RTJ *ARE* great, but they’re older than I am! They don’t represent the younger generations who’ve had to grow up with pandemics and Trump and late stage capitalism and brexit and housing crises, etc
02:48 AM - Dec 25, 2023
Adam Vadnais
A
In response to Khaim Morton.
Like, one could argue Kendrick is doing a lot there, but he also did a whole album dedicated to “I’m not the messiah, I’m just a dude dealing with mental health issues.”
02:49 AM - Dec 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}