Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 1/6
I’ve finally watched “Blue Eye Samurai”. 🧵
05:58 AM - Dec 18, 2023
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 2/6
I’ll admit, I was a bit turned off by its use of Western culture codes instead of the Eastern ones in some places; a few historical inaccuracies (take firearms — the Japanese had known and used them even before the times this story is supposed to be set in)…
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 3/6
…and the improbable durability of katanas (they were — contrary to popular belief — backup weapons and would lose their sharpness quite quickly if they had been used the way they were in this story). But then again, I always treat historical settings more as a decoration than anything else.
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 4/6
It’s great when the creators do their homework, but, ultimately, it’s the story that counts. The story, which I expect to have a universal meaning.
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 5/6
This one may not be too innovative when it comes to the overall message, but, despite this, it’s still a fascinating series about honour, betrayal, loss and the destructive force of revenge.
Krzysiek Maja Bożejewicz
A
thread 6/6
All in all, it’s gripping, beautifully made and very good (except for episode six — episode six does not exist). I’m really curious about the characters’ further story, and I’m eagerly waiting for the second season, which has just been announced. What are your thoughts?

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}