L.A. Goodman
A
thread 1/6
Let me preface this by saying my husband and I carried out multiple thoughtful conversations about this topic over the years; so much of this is a moot point born of the culture/environment we live in.
It is okay to be childless and be perfectly happy and content in choosing to be so.
10:53 AM - Dec 18, 2023
L.A. Goodman
A
thread 2/6
Every year, the husband's side of the family (which is extensive) has a holiday party. Every year, I am asked multiple times when we will have kids.
Do they ask my husband of 21 years this? No. Only me. Because apparently, a woman's sole purpose should be having kids.
L.A. Goodman
A
thread 3/6
Each year, I respond to the question politely with the choice we've made, which is: 'we're not'.
Sometimes, they leave it be with a piteous look. Sometimes they argue that we'd make such adorable kids, and I should really reconsider.
Not WE should reconsider, just me. It never fails, like clockwork.
L.A. Goodman
A
thread 4/6
I love my nieces & nephews. I love being an aunt. I get excited when friends or family are expecting. For myself & my husband? Parenthood isn't our thing.
We made that choice, and it's nothing to be ashamed of or pity. It doesn't make us selfish to enjoy our life the way it is with us and our dogs.
L.A. Goodman
A
thread 5/6
Women are more than a vessel for childbirth. Women matter, singularly, as a whole person without the additive of a uterus. We get to choose whether to parent or not. And taking that away from us, in any variation, isn't the freedom so many like to espouse.
L.A. Goodman
A
thread 6/6
It's okay to be childless and be perfectly happy and content in choosing to be so.

Signed,
The coolest aunt to ever aunt.
Queeneth Simpson
A
In response to L.A. Goodman.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
04:12 PM - Dec 18, 2023
Missy McMurray
A
People who don’t want to have children, shouldn’t. It’s pretty simple. You’re honest and self aware enough to know that about yourself. I applaud you for that.
12:15 PM - Dec 18, 2023
Pamela
A
My mom sent me a sculpture that said Love makes a couple. When you turned it around it said …and a baby makes a family.
I really wanted to say FU. I restrained myself though.

Also, what if I was unable to have children? 🤯
11:19 AM - Dec 18, 2023
L.A. Goodman
A
In response to Pamela.
The pressure put on women is insane. All these little nudges and prods, as if we couldn't possibly reach the childless conclusion despite being able. They have no way of knowing if we're able.
My husband is always surprised when I tell him who asked this year. No one asks him, which says everything.
11:24 AM - Dec 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}