Josef Konrad
A
thread 1/11
Comic books hold a special place in my heart. I like to give them as Christmas gifts. They are not just colorful pages with fantastical tales or source material for blockbuster movies. This medium can have a profound impact on its readers. This week's issue of Wonder Woman epitomized empathy.
07:03 AM - Dec 20, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 2/11
What truly makes comic books matter in today's world is how creators have taken charge, breaking free from the constraints of mainstream norms.
Josef Konrad
A
thread 3/11
While the far right and misogynists are trying to taint it, the industry has become a more diverse and inclusive space, with writers and artists from all walks of life telling stories that resonate with a wide range of readers.
Josef Konrad
A
thread 4/11
This also means comic books can make readers feel less lonely. In a world where it's easy to feel isolated, comic books provide a sense of belonging. Through their pages, we connect with characters who experience the same struggles, doubts, and triumphs as we do.
Josef Konrad
A
thread 5/11
This was the case with Wonder Woman #4 written by Tom King and released this week. The hero spends a day with a dying child who feels different because boys aren't supposed to like Wonder Woman. His dad and friends mock him for it. He even believes God cursed him with cancer because he's different.
07:04 AM - Dec 20, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 6/11
Wonder Woman consoles him. She tells him that who you are defines you and that despite the cruelty she has seen, she chooses love. Always.

Beautiful.
Josef Konrad
A
thread 7/11
It's no surprise that this issue and its story, and the fact that so many people are finding solace in these words and feeling less alone in their journeys, is having a positive ripple effect in the comic book community this week.

But this is not a one-off occurrence.
Josef Konrad
A
thread 8/11
Last week, veteran comic book writer Mark Waid took a stand against those who suggest that the comic book industry is dying because of "go woke, go broke".
Josef Konrad
A
thread 9/11
Waid staunchly declared: “I think a lot of us would just rather see the industry burn down than ‘get together’ with the alt-right. I know I would."

He also refuted many of their claims about how "wokeness" and more inclusive characters are ruining comics. Just the opposite.
Josef Konrad
A
thread 10/11
I bring this up because I haven't seen much talk about comic books as a medium here, and as a fan, I wanted to share how these "books" can touch our hearts, inspire our minds, and remind us that our experiences matter and are valid, even when it sometimes feels others are quick to dismiss them.
07:05 AM - Dec 20, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
thread 11/11
In this world full of noise and hate, there is still magic to be found in this unique form of storytelling that can make us all feel a little less lonely and more connected, especially during the holidays.

-30-
07:05 AM - Dec 20, 2023 (Edited)
bardsandsages
A
Unfortunately the problem is not wokeness but economics. My hubby was once an avid collector (we have CASES of comics). But the cost simply got to be too much. Particularly compounded by the constant reboots that negate what you previously read.
In response to Josef Konrad.
07:14 AM - Dec 20, 2023
Josef Konrad
A
In response to bardsandsages.
Agreed! I remember scraping up loose change when comics were 50¢ and getting very uncomfortable when the cost kept going up year after year. I know some collectors dislike the plague of variant covers -- up to 14 different covers per issue; collect them all -- but I'm in it for the stories.
07:34 AM - Dec 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}