Amee Dickson
A
thread 1/8
Shop local! . I’ve had people at markets ask me to make new loafs of soap last minute as a specialty item for Christmas, but when they hear my price for custom made soap last minute… they have said they will go to Walmart. Hot process soaps take a day to stir and need 4 to 7 days to cure.
09:05 AM - Dec 20, 2023 (Edited)
Amee Dickson
A
thread 2/8
Cold process soaps need 5 weeks. That’s their prerogative not to buy but it’s rude to say that they prefer big department stores. You can’t buy goat milk soap with a beautiful pattern and detergents free at Walmart with 34 different varieties of fragrances to choose from.
Amee Dickson
A
thread 3/8
I have 110 recipes and I offer 34 different types with different ingredients. Thats called shopping local and it’s our livelihood for extra things for Christmas. When we can make money from selling soap discounted 60%, we buy local from other vendors. I even swap with other vendors products.
09:05 AM - Dec 20, 2023
Amee Dickson
A
thread 4/8
This year at the farmers markets, we made 50% less sales than last year. And people paid with cash instead of debit or credit card. People are feeling the economic pinch.
Amee Dickson
A
thread 5/8
But when they have $7 in their pocket, they still can make the choice to shop with local crafters, which people love to receive for Christmas. This year we swapped for some gifts but unfortunately the sales are low and everyone is feeling it.
Amee Dickson
A
thread 6/8
I saw all vendors dropping their prices just so they could sell their stock or at least make enough profit to cover the expenses to make their products plus their table rentals. Let’s shop local people.
Amee Dickson
A
thread 7/8
It’s the greatest gift we can give if we have any money for buying products this time of the year. I am still waiting to buy a bouquet of candy for the building Christmas party from a vendor and II certainly will if I can.
Amee Dickson
A
thread 8/8
My question is, do you think shop local means buying from local stores or buying from crafters at markets? Both are valuable, local stores have high overhead costs to stay open too. But, where do you spend your $10 in your pocket? Local crafters or department type stores?

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}