Charlie
A
DoJ & IAPC review of Memphis #police ‘independent’? #LawEnforcement reviewing law enforcement? Why not i.e. ACLU, Amnesty Int. or the UN OHCHR? - https://www.reuters.com/wo... [#TyreNichols #usa #racism #humanrights #BLM ]
11:17 AM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Out of that entire group only the DOJ has the authority to criminally prosecute the officers.
11:21 AM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
In response to Kelly Burchell.
Indeed but not sure the review would seek criminal prosecutions. Seems more for review of policies & procedures. I suggest we might not be here yet again if US law enforcement took external views seriously. https://www.hrw.org/news/2...
11:36 AM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Generally a DOJ “review” is not limited to policy changes and can extend to criminal prosecution. As for policy change, outside groups usually have influence but inadequate funding usually impedes real change.
11:51 AM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
12:10 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Glad we can agree to disagree without any drama.
12:47 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
I guess sometimes with some responses only hilarity will cut it.
01:33 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Understandable. You have articles; I have experience working on these issues. It is what it is.
02:08 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
Your experience tells you it’s just too expensive for police to not go around killing people? [‘inadequate funding usually impedes real change’]
02:23 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Understaffing creates a stressed workforce. Officers who work 50+ hours a week do not receive proper counseling or training to prevent UF incidents from arising. Plus, inadequate supervision leads to bad habits becoming ingrained leading officers to made harmful choices
02:34 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
Whenever increased staffing is discussed, you see all sides push back. Politicians don’t want to raise taxes. Officers don’t want to lose their OT. Special interest groups don’t want money diverted from other programs to the police.
02:43 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
Who’s talking about increased staffing? Sorry but don’t think you grasp where I’m coming from on this. I’m not advocating for more police, I’m advocating that police stop murdering people. The review was called for because of the murder of Tyre Nichols, not because of the lack of officers present.
03:02 PM - Feb 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}