Mc Crispy
A
thread 1/5
I've spent the last four days giving end of life care to my little munchkin, as I have done with all my boys before him.

I've gone through this three times and it doesn't get easier. Sure, I know far more about what to do and what not to do, but the heartache is just as intense as it ever was.
01:20 PM - Dec 20, 2023
Mc Crispy
A
thread 2/5
As I've said many many times, we're never given the proper tools to deal with death and grief.

One of our first experiences with death (for most of us) is the loss of a pet. Rather than deal with the facts of it, parents have for generations told children that they "went to live on a farm" or "went
Mc Crispy
A
thread 3/5
to live in the ocean".

And in the case of a family member dying, children are likely told "they went to sleep and didn't wake up" or "they went to heaven".

None of these statements help us in any way. They're lies we tell so that we don't have to try to develop the tools on the spot (cause we
Mc Crispy
A
thread 4/5
were told the same lies) to try to lessen the burden of truth for the sake of the child.

It's a perpetual cycle of emotional abuse that we don't even recognize. Inflicting trauma, to try to prevent trauma.

So here I am, sitting with my trauma and trying to be the best pet dad I can be as my boy
Mc Crispy
A
thread 5/5
slowly and agonizingly gets ready to leave. I don't know when he'll take his last breath and join his brothers, but I know my heart is breaking slowly and painfully.

Every groan, every whimper is like a sledgehammer to my heart. 💔
Brian Mullin
A
My condolences
In response to Mc Crispy.
01:29 PM - Dec 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}