Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 1/8
A short but serious but happy thread about death and the holiday season…
12:39 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 2/8
My dad passed away in September. His is the first really close death that I’ve had to deal with. We had a lot of time to prep. We had a great relationship. We said everything we needed to say. It was all good, and he was the best example of how to die well that I could imagine.
12:40 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 3/8
Since then I’ve been waiting for the very sad waves of mourning to hit me. But they haven’t. I don’t actually think about it much. Maybe because it’s only been four months. I’m not sure.
12:40 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 4/8
So I was out on a walk just now, pre Christmas Eve, the time when my family celebrates, thinking “Okay Mark, let’s muster up some sentiment, some sorrow. It’s your first Christmas without your dad, you should be feeling worse than this.” But nothing.
12:41 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 5/8
And then a thought came through. And I’m calling it my dad’s last gift to us. And it’s that we were fortunate to have a dad that actively loved us; that fostered good relationships. That showed us that death doesn’t have to only be sad. That there is also peace.
12:41 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 6/8
I am so thankful for this gift - that I can really enjoy the lead up to this Christmas Eve, and after, even in his absence.
12:42 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 7/8
I know this isn’t everyone’s experience. And family, coupled with holidays, can be complicated for many. I also know that death is almost always viewed through a negative lens. But my dad showed us that it doesn’t have to be.
12:42 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
thread 8/8
And I hope that one day, should I be lucky enough, I too can pass along this kind of gift to those close to me. Because it’s really special.
12:43 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Babs
A
Thanks for this. My dad passed away in September after a short illness. My mom went into the hospital the day after his funeral with an infection and never recovered and died in October. I don't think she wanted to go on without daddy.
In response to Mark Kubert, DC.
05:31 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Mark Kubert, DC
A
In response to Babs.
Ah, I'm sorry for such a loss. I wish you comfort and peace.
11:41 AM - Dec 25, 2023
Babs
A
In response to Babs.
I was able to stay with them the last two months of their lives. I cherish that time with my huge extended family. I don't feel sad this Christmas exactly, just sort of numb. I didn't put up a tree (first time ever) or any decorations.
05:38 PM - Dec 24, 2023
Babs
A
In response to Babs.
Today we are cooking and playing games and watching Christmas shows. It's my first major loss also so I think I just don't know how to feel. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's a comfort.
05:42 PM - Dec 24, 2023
ecsbrooklyn
A
In response to Babs.
I'm so sorry. That's a lot all at once.

May your beloved parents' memory be for a blessing always.
07:59 PM - Dec 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}