Pamela Kuma
A
“The recipe for having a great Wednesday or a great week is making sure we work a job that we love, and which brings us joy and fulfillment. When we do things we love, nothing feels like work, and each day is a delightful journey.”
— Unknown
03:54 AM - Dec 27, 2023
Archie Leach
A
In response to Pamela Kuma.
Not everyone can work a job that they love, but everyone deserves a job that compensates them sufficently to be comfortable and does not oppress or dehumanize them.
04:16 AM - Dec 27, 2023
Breezy Aussie
A
I am a bit confused... USA appears to have different #MinimumWages set by the States and Federal employees have a different minimum wage? Plus a reliance on tips? A quick tour of #Australia : most #wages are set by a central authority that has representation from #employers and #Unions .
cont
In response to Archie Leach.
04:22 AM - Dec 27, 2023 (Edited)
MeiMei
A
In response to Breezy Aussie.
The minimum wage is 7.25, but many states have instituted that within their state it must be higher. In NY state the minimum wage is going up to $16 in 2024. State, city and federal jobs pay differently. Those wages are set by each entity.
04:57 AM - Dec 27, 2023
Breezy Aussie
A
In response to MeiMei.
Thank you. I thought it was something along those lines. I forget that the USA has Federal, State & County authorities. In Oz, we have Federal, State & Local govt managing rates, roads & rubbish, urban & environmental planning. No police enforcement.
06:00 AM - Dec 27, 2023
Breezy Aussie
A
The public Service - Federal and State government minimum wages are set by those bodies - informed by #Unions and the #PublicService .

Our Unions are very fierce on worker safety standards, and set their bargaining points through productivity, safety and the CPI #ConsumerPriceIndex .
04:25 AM - Dec 27, 2023
Breezy Aussie
A
No-one needs tips to survive, the minimum wage is around $25 - $30, plus additional $$ weighting for hours worked between 6pm and 6am, weekends and public holidays and a 17% loading for a mandatory 4 week holiday a year. It doesn't mean that folk on minimum wage don't struggle, (continued)
04:30 AM - Dec 27, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}