Angela
A
In Michigan in the 80's-90s we were taught the Civil War was fought over slavery but the embellishment was that as Northerners we were the good guys who stopped slavery. Of course this completely ignores that slavery was once all over this nation and we genocided most of the Indigenous people.
Salma Typhii @Epidatageek
In my school we were taught it was "states' rights" and, thankfully, my parents were quick to fill in the gap "states' rights to continue to enslave people based on race". Others in my class probably never heard that part. Not even in AP History
09:40 AM - Dec 28, 2023
11:14 AM - Dec 28, 2023
Yvette
A
In response to Angela.
Nothing I was taught in Public school EVER made white Americans look responsible for ANY genocide of Native Americans or Slaves. Looking back they literally WHITEWASHED EVERY ASPECT of AMERICAN History! I’m not blaming the Teachers. I blame American Society. I grew up in the 70’s & early 80’s.
01:43 PM - Dec 28, 2023
Colleen Becker
A
I have heard several other people say similar things which was surprised by. I'm wondering if it's more of a regional education issue than a time frame.

What general area of the country did you live in?
In response to Yvette.
07:41 AM - Dec 29, 2023
Yvette
A
In response to Colleen Becker.
I grew up in Suffolk County on Long Island. Most Long Island Schools (at least then) were pretty good.
12:09 PM - Dec 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}