Charlie
A
DoJ & IAPC review of Memphis #police ‘independent’? #LawEnforcement reviewing law enforcement? Why not i.e. ACLU, Amnesty Int. or the UN OHCHR? - https://www.reuters.com/wo... [#TyreNichols #usa #racism #humanrights #BLM ]
11:17 AM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Out of that entire group only the DOJ has the authority to criminally prosecute the officers.
11:21 AM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
In response to Kelly Burchell.
Indeed but not sure the review would seek criminal prosecutions. Seems more for review of policies & procedures. I suggest we might not be here yet again if US law enforcement took external views seriously. https://www.hrw.org/news/2...
11:36 AM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Generally a DOJ “review” is not limited to policy changes and can extend to criminal prosecution. As for policy change, outside groups usually have influence but inadequate funding usually impedes real change.
11:51 AM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
12:10 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Glad we can agree to disagree without any drama.
12:47 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
I guess sometimes with some responses only hilarity will cut it.
01:33 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Understandable. You have articles; I have experience working on these issues. It is what it is.
02:08 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
Your experience tells you it’s just too expensive for police to not go around killing people? [‘inadequate funding usually impedes real change’]
02:23 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Understaffing creates a stressed workforce. Officers who work 50+ hours a week do not receive proper counseling or training to prevent UF incidents from arising. Plus, inadequate supervision leads to bad habits becoming ingrained leading officers to made harmful choices
02:34 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
Not sure how the scenario you describe equates to lack of funding for real change in policing practices. But it does seem to make the case, along with continuing murders at police hands, for an urgently needed truly independent review.
02:52 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Would you agree that overworked employees make mistakes? If so, think about an overworked employee who has a gun, who is poorly trained and supervised, and likely needs counseling. Put all the policies you want in place, this employee will still make harmful choices.
02:56 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
I’d agree you’ve missed the point by a country mile. Can you conceive of unarmed, non-militarised, non-aggressive, public-service policing that works for people and not against them?
03:14 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Not in the US.
03:38 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
Well, a lot of Americans can, and they want change. But if you're unable to conceive of that change, then perhaps it's a conversation you're not best positioned to constructively contribute to.
03:47 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
Until someone can formulate an actionable plan to repeal the 2nd Amendment, what you posit remains theoretical, at best.
04:00 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
Repeal/reinterpretation/reform of the 2nd is certainly desirable and possible. But with or without it, people want police to stop murdering their loved ones. Either way, doesn’t sound like you have much hope, enthusiasm or insight to offer in that direction.
04:22 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Kelly Burchell
A
In response to Charlie.
04:27 PM - Feb 05, 2023
Charlie
A
Well, Kelly, it’s been pointless. Maybe u get that a lot. U come over as confused, smug & condescending in ur attempts to undermine any hope of change & you’ve nothing to offer. I’m here to connect, not waste time. If u persist, I’ll be reaching for Spoutible’s block button sooner than expected.
04:56 PM - Feb 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}