RCMurphy
A
Baby #tortoise time!

#reptile
How To Raise BABY TORTOISES! (Easy, Simple, Effective) - YouTube

Do you want healthy, happy baby tortoises with smooth shells? Well, it’s time to forget what you know and watch this video. It’s also time that outdated info...

10:42 AM - Mar 05, 2023
Jillian Anger
A
In response to RCMurphy.
This is probably a silly question, but can a mature tortoise free roam in a home like a dog or cat? How old would a tortoise need to be to get to be a suitable size for that, if it’s even a possibility?
That little one at the end of the video was so speedy! 😁. Adorable.
12:37 PM - Mar 05, 2023
RCMurphy
A
In response to Jillian Anger.
It depends on the tortoise. Small guys like Russians can get into trouble or stuck when free-roaming, so need a lot of supervision. Bigger tortoises like sulcatas and galapagos are *horrible* indoor pets due to their size. They destroy walls in a blink.
12:49 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Jillian Anger
A
In response to RCMurphy.
Is there any breed that is kind of midsized?

They seem like such soulful creatures. I bet they are great companions.
01:54 PM - Mar 05, 2023
RCMurphy
A
Redfoot, elongated, and leopard tortoises are the mid-size guys. They're okay indoors, but as grazing animals may end up tasting things that look like food and that can lead to issues with blockage.
02:18 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Jillian Anger
A
In response to RCMurphy.
So, it sounds like really they’d almost need their own room to be their enclosure that’s appropriate for them if kept indoors. I am really intrigued by tortoises. I need to do some more research on them.
Thanks for the information!
02:38 PM - Mar 05, 2023
RCMurphy
A
The channel the video is from has some amazing resources for new tortoise owners. Highly suggest giving them a follow on Youtube and finding their websites.
03:20 PM - Mar 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}