Salma Typhii
A
Shitass. I love the billionaire in a bunker trope because they are only as safe as their lowest paid, most disgruntled security guard. These dudes assume some chump is going to guard topside in a crisis for minimum wage
10:54 AM - Dec 30, 2023
💜 Callie 💜
A
In response to Salma Typhii.
IKR?? 😂

This part👇🏽

“Construction and other workers on the property were reportedly made to sign strict non-disclosure agreements”
11:14 AM - Dec 30, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
In response to 💜 Callie 💜.
Yeah sure, does he think NDAs apply when the Aunties start digging in over Sunday dinner? I have heard stuff because of the island gossip network. There are no secrets in HI, I swear!
11:25 AM - Dec 30, 2023
Elisabeth Gleckler
A
Secondary plan in operation is to push housing prices beyond any Hawaiian resident's budget within half the island.
11:28 AM - Dec 30, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
In response to Elisabeth Gleckler.
Our family just keeps adding on and in to their family home. Like Hilo fam has 4 houses on the same lot with 4 generations in them, so maybe not as effective on locals?
11:32 AM - Dec 30, 2023
Elisabeth Gleckler
A
If you own land.
Same issue mainland. If you have land or some housing, you are little bit out of the reach of the claw, except for increasing taxes, and insurance.
The data on inequity in modern history does show ways to narrow the gaps and reduce the present gilded age - catastrophe and war.
08:58 PM - Dec 31, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
That is the kicker. My in-laws are Native Hawaiian and descendants of contracted Japanese laborers who picked the wrong side in the Meiji era. Being long term local means they got land when H1 got run through the old family no-tell motel or got land soon after statehood. Incomers are screwed
09:46 AM - Jan 01, 2024
Elisabeth Gleckler
A
Yeah.
And property and people slip away from people.

The controls on the end of the NS road and the trail are a good idea. I don't like visiting and not being able to go places, but I respect the reasoning. With as much power of Big Money is hard to control them, tho.
Gilded Age indeed.
01:29 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
I mostly just want folks that aren't kamaʻāina to stop buying up the land and pushing out the locals
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kama%CA%BB%C4%81ina
01:31 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Elisabeth Gleckler
A
Been going to Kauai every couple of years since 70s. I am a visitor (even with friends/family there). I should always come second to local needs.
The wealth is a distortion.
Think about real estate and building.

Socially, a local mom said, "I don't want my kids raised near these rich children."
01:42 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
One day I hope HI can become less dependent on tourism and real estate catering to white folks' fantasies of paradise 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
01:49 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Elisabeth Gleckler
A
Agreed.
Tourists like me should come second. I must have hiked the Kalalau trail 6 or 7 times. I know I will never be able to get a permit again. It is right to limit the tourists on it, and other sites.
The control is justified, tho the rich can bypass that.
It is a beautiful island.
09:18 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Salma Typhii
A
Step 1, #LandBack starting with giving access and control of state and federal to Indigenous Hawaiians
Step 2, bust up the ranches taken by the missionaries like Parker and Robinson and repeat 1
https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/alohafriday/article/Hawaii-s-top-10-largest-landowners-3671077.php
07:36 AM - Jan 02, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}