Sheila Hobeck
A
Hey there #genealogy people! What are you working on this weekend?
10:48 AM - Mar 05, 2023
Mary S
A
In response to Sheila Hobeck.
I'm still picking away at a long term project to create Find A Grave memorials for people who died of TB in the early 20th c. So many were immigrants with few or no family members in the U.S. And in some cases most or all members of a family died. They tended to be young, too - 20s and 30s. 😢
11:39 AM - Mar 05, 2023
Sheila Hobeck
A
My research of my Scottish ancestors showed many families that were wiped out by TB. I remember one ancestor lost her husband and three children in a matter of 18 months. I often wondered how she found the strength to carry on.
In response to Mary S.
08:02 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Mary S
A
In response to Sheila Hobeck.
What started me was learning that state laws at the time allowed the sanatoriums to give any body that wasn't claimed fast enough to science for "research or training." It seems one in particular did a LOT of that, leading me to wonder if palms were greased.
01:14 AM - Mar 06, 2023
Mary S
A
In response to Mary S.
So mostly I wanted those people memorialized. But as I got into it, I realized many had no families here, and many lost most or all of their family to TB. So little was known about the spread of TB. And the poor couldn't afford what treatment there was that offered hope.
01:17 AM - Mar 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}