Andrea Ball
A
“The medium is the message” (McLuhan) rides again?
Bob - Garden is Life @trebuchetguy
👇️👇️👇️ Polls are no longer a reliable indicator of public sentiment. Once the pollsters realized they could get paid more for what the media wanted to hear, they became "opinion shapers" rather than any measurement of opinion. My policy is to stop reading when polling comes up.
03:49 PM - Jan 02, 2024
04:41 PM - Jan 02, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to Andrea Ball.
Isn't it twisted? First, there has never, in my memory, been this massive polling focus a year out from an election. Silly. Then, we're in this upside down world where pollsters went from reflecting what we think to telling us what we think.

Would love to know the McLuhan reference. I'm not aware.
04:53 PM - Jan 02, 2024
Andrea Ball
A
In response to Bob - Garden is Life.
McLuhan, a Canadian philosopher, began media studies in the ‘60s. “The medium is the message” (‘64) says each medium (e.g., TV, radio, ads) shapes the way a message (content) is received. That’s one aspect, simplified. Lots of info online, incl discussion on relevance to now. See 1977 video.
Marshall McLuhan's The Medium Is The Message (Best Explanation) - 1977 - YouTube

In this classic 1977 interview for the Monday Show on ABC, the great philosopher of media, Marshall McLuhan, summarizes his biggest ideas three years before ...

06:50 PM - Jan 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}