Jim Flanigan
A
thread 1/8
Mom
She saw Bill Haley & The Comets.

She loved Elvis and cried when he passed.

She let us listen to her British Invasion albums when we were little kids. The Beatles, Dave Clark Five, Herman’s Hermits and so much more.

(cont.)
#SpoutingClassics #WomenRock
All My Loving (Remastered 2009) - YouTube

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupAll My Loving (Remastered 2009) · The BeatlesThe Beatles 1962 - 1966℗ 2009 Calderstone Productions Limited (a div...

03:33 PM - Jan 03, 2024
Jim Flanigan
A
thread 2/8
She encouraged us to listen to more than ‘the hits’. She sang along and danced with us. Taught us all how to do The Twist.

“The Immigrant Song” would come on the car radio. She wouldn’t let Dad turn down the volume.

She liked Dylan and The Monkees. Johnny Cash. Sinatra. Paul Simon.
03:37 PM - Jan 03, 2024 (Edited)
Jim Flanigan
A
thread 3/8
As years went on, she’d ask what we were listening to and liked. Sister liked Bob Seger and Mom did, too. Yes, she was caught listening to a KISS record.

She was in my car and I had a Rundgren tape in the player. “Leave it on and turn it up a bit…’, she said. Well, OK then.
03:40 PM - Jan 03, 2024
Jim Flanigan
A
thread 4/8
She asked about the concerts. What were they like? Was it loud? Did you have fun? What songs did they play?

We roadtripped to see The Rolling Stones in ‘81. She loved the show photos and glossed over those taken of us smoking joints. She just smirked. She already knew.
03:43 PM - Jan 03, 2024
Jim Flanigan
A
thread 5/8
FOGHAT
She really liked them. Boogie Woogie blues-based ShakeYourAss music. She said it reminded her of the 50’s stuff she listened to a lot.

“Did they play Fool For The City? I like that one…”

She had a thing for REO, too. Dad was on a plane with them after a show. She lit up for that story.
03:47 PM - Jan 03, 2024
Jim Flanigan
A
thread 6/8
Metal? Not so much.
“You can’t dance to it”, she’d say. Yeah, I know…

After sister moved out and brother & I took off for college, she talked Dad into getting a home stereo. I suspect it was more ‘told him’ than ‘convinced him’.

A nice system appeared in living room. Components. Good speakers.
03:52 PM - Jan 03, 2024
Jim Flanigan
A
thread 7/8
We’d occasionally walk in and find her sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee or Scotch&Water, reading a trashy romance novel and rocking out to something. Might have been Eddie Rabbit. Might have been The Beatles. You’d never know.

Did we ever tell HER to turn it down? Of course not.
03:55 PM - Jan 03, 2024
Jim Flanigan
A
thread 8/8
She passed away in June of 1982.
I miss her every day.

Does it ever get easier? No, it doesn’t.
It can, however, become less difficult. That’s my strategy, at least.

And now…I shall strap on the headphones and wind it up a bit for her.

No scotch, though. We disagreed on that stuff.

XOXOXO
04:02 PM - Jan 03, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}