Dee Jay
A
thread 1/6
Being one of the only females working in IT (and a female POC at that), my mom has tons of stories she could tell. Here’s a couple of them.

(They’re short, I promise)
9Gen @9Gen
Telling old timey corporate stories of working women is kinda fun.

Lesson: Do NOT fuck with women who are smarter than you ever hoped to be.
06:24 PM - Jan 04, 2024
06:45 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Dee Jay
A
thread 2/6
When I was a kid, my mom worked at a company where she installed LANs in banks & credit unions across the country. Her (majority white male) coworkers would intentionally fuck her PCs up (take out RAM, ruin cables etc.) and not help her fix it & expect her to cry about it. She’d fix it every time.
06:48 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Dee Jay
A
thread 3/6
Oh, and they’d also take “business lunches” at Hooters no matter what town they were in. My mom refused to go with them AND told corporate on their asses. Got a couple dudes fired for that one.
06:49 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Dee Jay
A
thread 4/6
Fast-forward to 2009 or so.

My mom gets an idea to open her own PC repair shop. I ended up helping her run it for a couple of years—I had no other employment options at the time and knew she’d need help doing the actual repair work. Not only did we have a lot of return customers but
06:51 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Dee Jay
A
thread 5/6
she ended up getting her own store in a Meijer! (Grocery chain for those not familiar)

Then her assistant—who ended up being a chronic gambling addict—stole all her money and we ended up losing the Meijer location, closed the main location, and ended up in a homeless.
But that’s for another thread.
06:54 PM - Jan 04, 2024 (Edited)
Dee Jay
A
thread 6/6
So yeah.

That, plus many other reasons, is why my mom is the strongest woman I know.
06:55 PM - Jan 04, 2024
✨Shell Russell-Nelson
A
In response to Dee Jay.
It's hard out here being a Strong Working Black Woman. 🤦🏾‍♀
06:52 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Dee Jay
A
In response to ✨Shell Russell-Nelson.
It really is. I had no idea it was that rough until my mom told me about it. Luckily she’s retired now and doesn’t have to deal with the corporate world anymore
07:02 PM - Jan 04, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}