Duke Norik
A
thread 1/9
Trying to use my straight white cis male privilege for good, here. A 🧵.

I am currently out of work on medical leave (had surgery on my right wrist to repair the tendons and remove a benign cyst. I'm fine.).
07:23 PM - Jan 04, 2024
Duke Norik
A
thread 2/9
I filed all the necessary leave paperwork through my employer, the surgeons office, and the state, because we have a paid medical leave program here. Filed all that paperwork well in advance of my surgery to ensure nothing went fucky.

Don't get ahead of me, dear reader.
Duke Norik
A
thread 3/9
The surgery came and went, everything went great, I'm healing nicely. Last week, I went online to file my first weekly claim so I could get paid.

Luckily, my paycheck date with my employer happened to be the first Friday I was out of work, so I could still pay bills and things.
Duke Norik
A
thread 4/9
I didn't even bother checking my account this week because bills had already been paid, so I went online just now to file my next weekly claim. I do just that, and then look at the history to see how much I should expect to receive.
Duke Norik
A
thread 5/9
The payment for this week looks great.

But last week, the payment is "$0".

As you might expect, my reaction was "WTF?!".

Turns out the first week I was off work and filed a claim so I could be paid for BEING ON MEDICAL LEAVE is a "waiting week." No payment due.
Duke Norik
A
thread 6/9
What fucking genius politician came up with this bullshit?

A waiting week? For an approved leave that I literally couldn't work during even if I wanted to?

Hold on, lemme tell my bank I can't pay the mortgage this month cause it's a "waiting month" and we'll see how that goes.
Duke Norik
A
thread 7/9
For real, though, why is it that corporations, the government, and the wealthy all get away with this horseshit, but regular people would fucking lose their house, their car, their job, etc over missing a single payment/taking a little bit too much from the till?
Duke Norik
A
thread 8/9
We, the workers, should refuse to put up with these shenanigans from the owners ever again. I will absolutely be writing to my governor and congresspeople about this.

We need to stop taking things in stride and start pushing back, hard. We earn them money. It's time they learn.
Duke Norik
A
thread 9/9
Fuck the government, eat the rich, seize the means of production, labor is entitled to all it creates.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}