- Can tolerate being neglected now and then
- Stays small and manageable
- Something that will do well in low light

Pictured: Fairy Peperomia in the process of being rescued
05:43 PM - Jan 05, 2024
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 2/9
Peperomia is a family of plants that includes about a thousand species. A dozen or so varieties are well suited as small house plants. They're also called "radiator plants." Native to Central and South America, it's related to rubber plants. They're succulents, so the leaves are rubbery and thick.
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 3/9
Like most succulents, they will tolerate being underwatered a bit more than most houseplants. They don't like being overwatered and in fact that's one of the quickest ways to kill them with root rot. If you go into a garden center and ask for peperomia, they'll give you something like this. They
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 4/9
come in small pots filled with a cheap root suspension of peat moss or a synthetic material. You can leave these in that little pot for a month or two, but it will need to be repotted. I repot in a 50/50 mix of good indoor potting soil and peat moss or coconut coir. You want the medium
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 5/9
to dry out fairly quickly. Watering should be done sparingly when the soil gets close to or even completely dry. Water moderately without soaking. A moderately bright desk lamp or an outdoor window is enough light. Don't allow direct sun. Fertilize with an indoor plant food every 2 to 3 months.
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 6/9
They tolerate pruning well. Branches will spill to the sides as the plant grows. These can be pruned off to encourage vertical growth as long as you don't take too much at once. The one I'm rescuing will get a good pruning after a few more weeks of growth.
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 7/9
About the rescue. I rescued it from my wife after it nearly died. She calls herself a "black thumb." There are no black thumbs. There are folks who don't know how to take care of plants or don't follow the known directions. She's the 2nd kind. Left it in the peat moss and when it stressed kept
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 8/9
watering it until it root rotted. "If it's such a good houseplant, it should just grow!" It is coming back very nicely and you can see the aggressive new growth in the central part. The long thing growing on the back is a 'bloom.'

That's about it. They're small, fun, and easy. Pothos might be
Bob - Garden is Life
A
thread 9/9
easier, but they also will leave you trying to figure out where to put 30 feet of vine. These are a perfect countertop or desktop plant IMO.

Pictured: Peperomia Obtusifolia (not mine)
NetMaven 🐠🐠
A
Thanks for this very helpful thread about growing a Peperomia plant. I had one many years ago.
What I'd like to find is a Swedish Ivy which also has succulent type leaves. I had a gorgeous one in 70s-80s that hung and grew very long & full. And grew new plants from shoots in jars of water. 🪴
In response to Bob - Garden is Life.
07:42 PM - Jan 05, 2024 (Edited)
Bob - Garden is Life
A
In response to NetMaven 🐠🐠.
You're welcome, and good luck finding your Swedish Ivy. Those are nice plants too.
07:58 PM - Jan 05, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}